What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Trade "Ultra Highland" Brugmansias for Nepenthes, etc.

• Thread starter RandyS
  • Start date
I have a couple Brugmansias that I need to find homes for. These are from the other side of the planet as Nepenthes, but I figured I would include them as "Ultra Highland" since they are from similar elevations, about 3000 m, growing under similar temperatures and cloud forest conditions. The Brugmansia community refers to these as cold group, which I think causes more confusion as anything, with people assuming they like it below freezing, or are extremely hardy. They are not. They thrive outside in Northern California on the immediate coast, and the cooler parts of the SF Bay area, plus a few other cool summer places with special winter care. I'm sure they would thrive where people grow Nepenthes under highland or ultra highland growing temperatures, mostly between 35 and 75 F.

The big problem is that they grow as large shrubs or trees, and they grow fast. The flip side is that they would provide a lot of material for cuttings, and both of these plants are very hard to find and in demand. Aa far as I'm aware, one (Suncrest vulsa) is sold (rarely) by two nurseries, and other ('Inca Princess') by one. Neither is available online right now, which is normal...

I'm expecting to trade these individually, not as a pair. I'm actually not looking for Ultra Highland Nepenthes, as I would be growing inside, which is 60s in the winter, mostly 70s in the summer, with little temperature drop. We get rare heatwaves, so it can heat up to 90 briefly, inside. I do not have air conditioning.

Other plants besides Nepenthes that I'm looking for include Drosera regia, Drosera petiolaris complex species, Cephalotus, and I'm open to some Pinguiculas and Ultricularias.

i likely have other non-CPs, that I could include as part of a trade, as cuttings, plants, seedlings, etc. Ask for a list. These are heavily biased towards plants that grow outside a zone 10 climate with mild summers. A number are high elevation plants as well.

Here are the two plants, purchased in 4 inch pots:

Brugmansia sanguinea 'Inca Princess'

A pure yellow form. The flower opened today, and will be gone when shipped. These are the elevations of specimens of B. sanguinea in the Tropicos database, to give an idea...

Brugmansia sanguinea elevation chart.png

The plant, photo today:

Inca Princess in bloom.jpg

The second plant is Brugmansia Suncrest vulsa.

We think this plant is likely 3/4 Brugmansia sanguinea, and 1/4 Brugmansia vulcanicola. There's a story behind this. This is the 4th time I've bought plants labeled Brugmansia sanguinea 'Inca Princess'. The second time, the nursery owner told me that the plant was not in fact as labeled, but instead was something better. So I bought it. This is what I got: Suncrest vulsa #2.jpeg

I propagated, distributed, and named this plant. A friend grew a nice one in Atherton, California:

Joy's Suncrest vulsa .jpg

The plant I have to trade of this is in a 4 inch pot, below:

Suncrest vulsa plant.jpg

The plants can bloom small, but they will get big, although as mentioned, they could also generate a lot of material for cuttings. Cuttings are harder to root than other Brugmansias, but doable. These would be very nice plants in the right space, or the right climate (which again is extremely limited). Unlike most Brugmansias, these are not scented.

As mentioned, I'm expecting to trade these separately, although I'm open.

Last edited:
Back