What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UHL Terrarium cooled w/ aquarium chiller

Hey Guys.
I am planning to put together a UHL terrarium cooled with a 1/2 horsepower aquarium chiller connected to a radiator with a small fan behind it. I put this thread here because the main focus is the chilling technique, not the terrarium itself. I will also be connecting a humidifying system and rain system to counter-act any drying effect by the small CPU fan. I will gather everything and record step by step instructions. Until then, I would LOVE to see anyone who has had experience with this sort of method. I would love to make this thread a success as I would love to lighten the burden of caring for such beautiful plants for others who have struggled with this problem.

SO GET READY BOYS AND GIRLS. I'M ABOUT TO GO ALL HIGH-TECH ON YA.

With some research I have found that this method really works, bringing temperatures down all the way to 10C. If someone does have this setup, or any similar set up, such as one with a radiator connected to a freezer, or one cooled with the aid of a glycol-water solution, ANYTHING OF THE SORT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR :) your help will seriously determine what I do and what I don't. details of the setup down to the T would be great if you find the time as well :)
THANK YOU COMMUNITY! PICS IN THE FUTURE :)

Very cool, subscribed.

Huge breakthrough in my research, and so close to the time of original post!
I was checking out liquid chillers in general, and found this website, selling liquid chillers using a peltier element. the product in the link is capable of temperatures lower than 30 degrees farenheit, so the possibility of using a Glycol-Water mixture is on the table. I might then run the liquid through a sump, into a radiator (with a fan) and back into the chiller.
https://tetech.com/products/lc-035/
and check out their calculator! awesome company, props to them regardless if I end up purchasing their product or not (though it is looking like it!).
https://tetech.com/cooling-assembly-and-heat-load-calculator/
I was also looking at their air-coolers, but They require that I custom-build my tank to have the hot side of the peltier element on the flip side of tank, and the cooling element facing inward. Though the product would still work, I think it is more convenient for my setup to use a liquid chiller, as I do not have to jerry-rig as much to accommodate that system.

Very interested. Will be watching

Another Self-contradictory post. I have looked into the air coolers, and the more I researched them the more they seem like a viable option. Here are the requirements for each system that I have learned so far..

FOR LIQUID COOLERS: I would need a non-corrosive Glycol-Water solution to prevent freezing and a pump that can withstand pumping near-freezing water continuously. I would also need an insulated sump to hold a reservoir of the solution that would feed the entire system. I would also need a radiator with a small fan or two. My questions for this system so far is if there is a danger of freezing condensation that will inevitably collect onto the radiator in the Terrarium. I doubt this but I will make sure. Also in question is the overall potential of this system. The Glycol-water solution will pass by the peltier cold plate (as the company's product states), through an insulated sump, and into a radiator and back. I will continue investigating to see how cold the liquid needs to be for this to be effective considering heat load, etc.

FOR AIR COOLERS: the systems are straightforward- hot air goes in, cool air goes out. The only catch with this system is I have to make sure I isolate the hot side outside the tank, and seal the inside within the tank. again, with this the possibility of freezing condensation is still lingering (though, again, I doubt I will run into this problem). This setup requires I completely custom build my tank. Not quite sure If I have problem with that or not. Will continue investigating the integrity of this system as well.

As Aquarium Chillers cost almost the same as both these systems, and seem to be bulky and less efficient and 'iffy', I am almost sure I will not use it. Unless someone can dissuade me.

Ugh. This hurts my brain. Any engineers on here?

P.S. here is another company link. check out the air coolers and the picture diagrams that come with it. also consider the items' literature.http://www.thermoelectric.com/2010/pr/ac/tm/outdoors.htm

Last edited:
There is a commercially available heat exchanger with fan, or the heater core from a small car along with a fan for a diy. Your coolant is the same as in a car. The sump is an igloo cooler. Pumping near freezing liquid is a non issue as long as it doesn't actually freeze. Freezing of the in tank heat exchanger can be combatted with more air flow.

Ok Thanks SubRosa ya I figured I could easily fix in-tank freezing. Anyone think before I start with my blue prints If they believe the liquid cooled or the air cooled heat exchange system would be better as far as efficiency?

Back