What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. reniformis - spelling

OK - a rather simple question. Since I've started to allow myself to meander into the realm of the Utric, I've noticed that some reasonably credible sources spell the name of this plant differently.

Both Barry & Bob Z. use the U. reniformis spelling. However, Peter D'Amato (The Savage Garden pg 229) & this British website (among others) spell the name as U. reinformis. Misspellings are obviously not an uncommon occurrence anywhere scientific names are used - especially where these names intersect with novice users. However, the different spellings from credible sources is something I've not often seen and usually, if I do see 2 spellings, I'll typically find one reference that mentions both - sometimes with an explanation. Here, I have yet to come across a post or a website that offers the proverbial explanation for the alternate spellings.

Can someone help me out & shed some light on this simple little quandary?

its reniformis.......reni= kidney, formis=shape.............

Pete had a typo that made it past proof (and while I can not swear by it, since that British site lists Pete's book as a reference I would guess the same mistake is being carried forward there.)

The proper name is U. reniformis. the species epithet is reflective of the shape of the leaves. So sayeth the almighty Taylor

Sirs - many thanks for the explanations! :beer:

Back