What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. livida or U. sandersonii?

Hey all, ive got an Utric that needs ID'd. i know its either U. livida or U. sandersonii. I was hoping you all could help me choose which it is.

here are some pics. no flowers unfortunately, but these leaves are new growth (not sure if that matters).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97451358@N07/11003546823/

Thanks all,
Austin

It's too close to tell. We'll have to wait for flowers, I think. It could be U. livida, but it also could be slightly etiolated U. sandersoniii.

Livida. It looks identical to my clone. However, flowers are really the only sure-fire way of knowing.

I have leaves like that in a pot of sandersonii and I am pretty sure I don't have livida in my collection. Seems to be a response to low light.

The leaves don't look like any Sandersonii I have grown.

Here's mine:

0K5clDj.jpg

i am leaning towards livida until i have a flower for sure. we have both in the greenhouse at work, and this was some random bunch of it growing in that general area.

Cindy- they were shaded in their area in the greenhouse. now they are under 4 grow lights and putting out some new leaves, so we will get better leaf ID in a few days.

any recommendations on getting them to flower? they are in 80 degrees F, 80%humidity in a chopped sphagnum substrate that is water logged most the time. they are in a container with U. gibba.

Any tips would be great!

I've heard that making the plants experience seasonal changes such as temperature swings or changing the photoperiod can induce Utricularia to flower. Also, I think a few species flower in response to changing water levels such as sandersonii.

Flowering is sporadic for me as I live in year round warm terrarium. LOL

From literature, it seems that they tend to flower when the plant has "filled" up the pot and there is a sudden change in water level i.e. barely moist and then flooding.

Back