What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. Graminifolia Propogation by Stolon

collin

Supporter
I took the stolons of some graminifolia that was being grown as an affixed aquatic (I guess technically, although it was really only affixed to itself) and potted them to be grown terrestrially. I had some success but would change a few variables and wanted to share my experiences.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the stolons after being removed from the plant, but I basically just took the yellow/white portion of the plant leaving the topmost green layer intact. I then coarsely divided these stolons and mixed them in a 1:1 sand peat mix and spread this on top of the soil. While some of the plantlets died, many survived and are now producing new leaves. The pot is currently sitting in a tray of water in a west facing window in 60-80 degree weather.

Next time I do this, I'll make a couple of changes. First, I'll up the lighting for the first few weeks in order to ensure more plants establish. Second, I'll use fewer stolons per square inch, I think I used far too much. Anyway, hope this is helpful to someone. This same technique could probably be used for other species as well.

Here are some pictures.

Right after potting:
ff99fa4d3e762cc4e9298b94b6b95b31.jpg

Ten days later:
fdbbc255bacbe5cfb3692b9a0e42ff67.jpg

UG is easily one of my favorite plants, I've grown enough of it to carpet my entire house over the years. Any little piece of it can produce carpets given the right conditions. UG was actually my first CP :)

Starting at page 6 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...Utricularia-graminifolia-My-Experiences/page6 you can see the best way I've found to propogate this stuff. I only need to check the water level every month or two. That and harvest, harvest, harvest :)

Just remember UG can be VERY invasive, if there is moisture nearby it will find it.

Cool. I'll have to go through that thread.

Back