What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Pinguicula Mysteries!

Hello everyone!

Here are two, different, mysteries for you. Well, no, more like two and a half, but anyway.

Number one:
This is a P. 'Florian' I got several years ago as a tiny little thing. Due to my lighting, it was green but healthy and in its summer phase for a while. Then, I upgraded my lighting and made it much more intense. It turned pink in a day and then went dormant. And there it stayed, and has been so since, oh I dont know, November of '09? Somewhere in there. No blossoms. For a while I thought maybe it had come out of dormancy, but was still green due to my lighting which had, again, changed. So, here is my question- is it in its summer (Green due to poor lighting) or winter growth (green by nature)?

P8160674.jpg

P8160682.jpg

Then this guy:
The tag said simply 'Fraser Beaut.' I learned after research that P. moranensis has a cultivar by that name, but registered pictures of that cultivar don't match up. Any ID ideas? Also, it appears to be blooming with summer leaves, is this normal? Very rarely, and not so much anymore, but it would grow a slight red flush down the center of a leaf as it developed and usually faded away as the leaf matured.

P8160678.jpg

P8160677.jpg

P8070645.jpg

I know its a lot, but I appreciate any reads and responses!

CJ

The first ping is a P. ehlersiae.
The second I don't have any idea.
They look best with very bright florescent lighting.

My first thought on the top plant is P. ehleresiae. FWIW, this is what I have as a 'Frasier Beauty:

Picture001-32.jpg
It looks like it's going dormant.

Yeah, Jimscott, that is not at ALL what this looks like when it goes dormant. So thank you for that! I don't have a picture, but I have seen it, and it just makes smaller, tighter, and slightly more triangular leaves. And I bought the 'Florian' from a retailer that specializes in Mexican pings, so, I would like to think that its P. x 'Florian.' Though, ehleresiae, essernia, and jaumavensis all look nearly indistinguishable to me!

Just to add to the confusion:

Picture022-1.jpg
P. 'Florian'

Picture023.jpg
P. esseriana

Picture075.jpg
P. jaumviensis

Picture045.jpg
P. ehleresiae

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Picture006-9.jpg
P. 1713

Picture005-10.jpg
P. 1717

Jimscott, what a beautiful florian! I had forgotten how beautiful they are when in their summer growth. Looking at those leaves, though, they appear to be a great deal thinner and not exactly the "succulent" like winter growth that mine has.

I guess I will keep it dry then. I hadnt, until now, really seen the "better to under water than to over water" philosophy for growing these guys in action.

That cultivar is particularly photogenic.

Wow jimscott that florian is stunning! I had one, but managed to kill it. I didn't realize that got that much color.

Back