What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turning a tank on its side

I've read about people turning fish tanks on their sides so that the opening is facing forward. I'm guessing this improves air circulation and keeps heat at a minimum. I'd like to try this with one of my terrariums because the plants don't seem to be getting adequate air, but I have a concern. If I do this, my lights will be shining through the glass of the tank instead of shining directly into the tank as it is now. Will this significantly reduce the effects of my bulbs on my plants?

keep the glass clean. it will filter some light mostly invisible, hardly any at all, but your lights will also be closer.

Agreed. As long as the glass is clean, there will be minimal absorbtion of light. I had glass covers on all my terraria and the lighting was fine.

I've actually seen that method recommended by several growers. If you don't have tall plants, it will give you more floor space. If you need to keep humidity in, just make a flap of clear plastic...easily flipped up for access into the tank. I've thought about doing this myself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've actually seen that method recommended by several growers. If you don't have tall plants, it will give you more floor space. If you need to keep humidity in, just make a flap of clear plastic...easily flipped up for access into the tank. I've thought about doing this myself.

What's crazy is that since I tried this method with this one tank, I've grown to like it much more than the standard terrarium setup. I'm thinking about converting my other two 10 gallons to the same way, especially for the extra floor space that you mentioned.

Tamlin has suggested that approach.

Back