What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tree Frogs and Sarracenia

• Thread starter DJ57
  • Start date

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
I have a few water features around the yard that attract breeding tree frogs every spring. Since the sarracenia attract lots of flying insects all the frogs have to do is sit around on the pitchers and wait for a meal to come to them. Below is a link to a slideshow of photos I have taken of tree frogs hanging around the sarracenia in my yard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/enjoypics/albums/72157686680384621/show

Very cool. I wonder if any frogs ever get trapped in the larger pitchers. It must be pretty wet there if there are frogs around.

Last edited:
I have never seen a tree frog stuck inside a sarr pitcher, they seem to be able to get in and out quite easily with their “sticky” feet. I have never seen one go very far down into a pitcher though, maybe just an inch or two.

The frogs appear each year in late winter/early spring and lay their eggs in five kiddie pools containing potted sarrs and a few water features I have around the yard including a pond. When the tadpoles morph into frogs they leave the kiddie pools and water features and hang around the yard among the sarrs and then disappear in late fall, returning again in spring to start the cycle over again. Garter snakes, raccoons, and possums help keep the frog population in check, but some years in spring my backyard sounds like you are in the middle of a wetlands with the frog mating calls so I have to collect a bunch to release at a real wetlands outside of town to keep the peace with neighbors because we live in town in a residential neighborhood.

A sad world we live in when people consider the sound of singing frogs a nuisance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A sad world we live in when people consider the sound of singing frogs a nuisance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, right? But unfortunately I have two neighbors who did complain, the type who have nothing better to do with their lives than to constantly make nuisance calls to the city if you cut your grass wrong, paint your house a color they don't like, build a tree-house in your back yard for your kids without getting proper permits, have tree frogs inhabiting your back yard, etc....I am completely serious.

Last edited:
Some very cool shots! Beautiful sarrs and frogs, too. How does it get any better?

Back