What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally new to Succulents

• Thread starter Freckles24
  • Start date
So my friend gave me this plant when she moved and I’ve done a lot of googling and still can’t figure out what it is. I know it looks really sad I’m thinking it didn’t have enough light so it looks different than it would if it was healthy. Anyone have any idea as to what kind it is?

b816ab20db3b01d25d4f32bf67310532.jpg
1059f0f422043facbbc685222bd331e0.jpg

Update: I’m thinking it’s a sad Echeveria Blue Waves or Curly Locks?

Though I'm sure it would appreciate more light, it also looks to me like it wants more water.

Care for common echeveria is all the same, luckily for you, but I can't help on the species

Lots of light, warm temps, and don't overwater. That mix looks like it is to organic which will result in it staying too wet in most folks' conditions. You don't mention where you live. If in the Great White North, you will either need to supply supplemental lighting or to keep it on a chilly windowsill and very dry until warmer sunnier days return.

Lots of light, warm temps, and don't overwater. That mix looks like it is to organic which will result in it staying too wet in most folks' conditions. You don't mention where you live. If in the Great White North, you will either need to supply supplemental lighting or to keep it on a chilly windowsill and very dry until warmer sunnier days return.

I’m in Tennessee. By mix do you mean soil? If so what would be best? If it helps my humidity stays between 25% and 35% and temps between 70-75 degrees. Thanks for your reply!

I’m in Tennessee. By mix do you mean soil? If so what would be best? If it helps my humidity stays between 25% and 35% and temps between 70-75 degrees. Thanks for your reply!

Once spring comes and frosts are a memory, you should be able to keep the echie outside in full sun for at least much of the day provided you harden the plant off properly. Your summer sun will be more intense than mine so you might need to provide shade during mid afternoon when your sun is most intense during the dog days of summer.

At the very least your plant will be better off in a mix of 30% cactus soil + 70% perlite or pumice. Considering your summer humidity will be very high (no idea what your humidity is like if you live in the mountains but I know the lowland areas get obnoxiously humid), you should consider making a gritty mix of pumice (or perlite)+ chicken grit (easily found at any feed store) + turface + small grade fir bark. The particles should all be about the same size (roughly 1/8-1/4"). The goal is a mix that drains freely. Small particles mixed with large or all really small particles should be avoided as this will inhibit draining. (You can use a small piece of nylon screening like that used for window screen or even the plastic mesh onions or potatoes are sometimes sold in at the grocery to cover the drainage hole(s) so the mix doesn't escape.) The last two ingredients mentioned can actually be skipped entirely if you wish. Those last two items retain some water. I know several folks who use a strictly inorganic mix in which the particles retain no water within themselves at all. Note: In a gritty mix you will water more often than a soil mix but you will be less likely to get root rot.

Back