What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Topdressing Sarrs

What types of top dressings can be used to help lessen the amount of water that is lost through evaporation w/ potted Sarrs? I've seen live moss, and pine needles (though I wonder if this is more for winter insulation?). Any reason you wouldn't want to lessen the amount of evaporation? ???

Feedback appreciated...thanks.

i use dead or live sphagnum moss, you can also mulch with pine bark/needles to help keep the moisture in(just make sure its not treated with anything).

~billy

I have a mini-bog on my patio, and I topped it off with orchid bark. It prevents the rain from splashing soil everywhere.

I use aquarium stone. It helps retain moisture, and stops the growth of mold. Here's a picture of one of my vft's after I recently divided it, and one of my cephs:
FSCN0362.jpg

RSCN0372.jpg

A coarse, light colored aggregate will reflect light, and if you use a layer thick enough that the granules on top aren't in contact with the moist media, they'll heat up instead of wicking the water into the air. I suppose pine needles would work too but I imagine that they would compact after a while. I think maybe I have a bias towards inorganic media though... I like potting mix I can seive out of peaty sludge and reuse.
Tangentally, dark colored rocks warm the media, which is apparently helpful for VFTs.
~Joe

Another possibility that I have used with palm seed is to have a layer of coarse sand (washed and sterilized). As mentioned above, it prevents annoying fungal/algal growth that is often associated with moist and humid conditions.

LFS is the best!

Back