What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much humidity?

• Thread starter DomW
  • Start date
I have a small well sealed room (8x8x8 cube) in my basement that I am making into a highland Neps and cool growing orchids room. The humidity ranges from 84% to 93% and a temp of 65 to 75 degrees. I have good data from 16/11/21 using a Wave Plus. I have a carpet fan that runs on high setting 24/7 directed at an opposing wall or well over the plants on a shelf. Most of the humidity is from plants draining onto a cement and stone floor. I do have a mist system that I am experimenting with that has a $16 diaphragm pump that is rated at 85PSI going into a $13 1/4" misting tube set up. But with those humidity numbers, should I skip the misting? Do I need to lower the humidity? I hope to share the build photos on the terrarium/room forum here. Next step is to pull in air from outside to lower the night temperature. Thanks, Dom

If the humidity is above 40% there's no real point to misting. The level is also not a problem if the airflow is good.

I would probably start without the misting for that level of humidity - neps like wet leaves, but so does fungus

Airflow is great. Typhoon strength if you walk in front of the fan. Thankfully no fungus.

They do not like wet leaves. Good humidity, but not water actually on the plants.

The temperature dropped outside by 30deg and the humidity inside followed suit. Went from 90% down to 78% at which point the humidity controller's alarm went off. Luckily the controller is wifi and I got the alert on my phone at the other end of the house. I am going to make one of those ultrasonic fog machines. I will not need to worry about plants getting wet at night with that, will I?

78% is not within a concerning drop range either for these plants, generally; if attempting to raise humidity a night or two with water present won't harm.

Back