What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

too hot to germinate?

CP30

A Cajun(isc) Carnivore
This may seem a silly question, but what temp is best for germinating nep seed? Also, is it better to wait until spring to sow sarr seed, or is now OK? If now is OK, do they go dormant like normal?

Ive known people to hold of dormancy for a year to help the young sarr'lings grow. But its difrent from person to person...

I don't trust Sarrs to survive outdoors here their first winter, so I keep them with my orchids under fluorescent light. So they grow for ~18 months before their first dormancy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ July 22 2006,11:06)]I don't trust Sarrs to survive outdoors here their first winter, so I keep them with my orchids under fluorescent light. So they grow for ~18 months before their first dormancy.
Ok so i got a new off shoot from my S. flava. the biggest pitcher is ~1in. so your saying it would probly be best if that offshoot was removed and put into my terrarium?
Alex

No, that'll be fine overwintering with the others. New seedlings are more frail than offshoots.

What about Nep seeds? What is a good germinating temp?

Lowland or highland? Germinate them at the same temperature the mother grows at.

If you sow sarracenia now (after 5 weeks cold stratification), bring them indoors over winter. Otherwise, sow in winter and they'll come up in spring.

Store them dry in the firdge if you don't want to sow now.

Back