What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tone of Conversations

I think everyone has been pretty well behaved this year, even people who don't agree with my views. There's even been a fair amount of self-policing, with people stepping in to correct those who are getting out of line. So I'm disappointed to see someone banned for three days for what looks like no crime at all. Especially given the ramifications for the wildlife of Montana during the three day exile. Please give some consideration to the speed goats, even if most of us have never been entirely clear what they are.

I think everyone has been pretty well behaved this year, even those ignorant people who don't agree with my views. There's even been a fair amount of self-policing, with people stepping in to correct those who are getting out of line. So I'm disappointed to see someone banned for three days for what looks like no crime at all. Especially given the ramifications for the wildlife of Montana during the three day exile. Please give some consideration to the speed goats, even if most of us have never been entirely clear what they are.

I would like to first apologize for my involvement of the matter, and for the snow-balling that lead to Rattler's temporary 3 day ban. I'm sorry that some people here believe that I'm only here to stir the pot or inject my views into political or religious based threads. The truth is on the matter I no longer have a CP collection due to mother nature and haven't been able to rebuild or start a new collection due to time and money. Whatever extra cash flow I have goes into taking care of my 6 tortoises which is not a cheap hobby. So I'm sorry I haven't been able to post pictures of my plants or engage more in growing methods or propagation. I have a passion for CPs, which brought me here to this community. I will eventually be growing them again in the future, but I didn't think this would disqualified me from participating in a general discussion forum.

Maybe it was wrong of me to bring this to the public forefront, but the intent was for the rules of this forum, and the latest warning from Xvart to be followed. I'm not a crybaby. I'm not one who's new to taking heat, or being able to put up with it. I also don't believe that answering an unanswered and provocative statement is "stirring the pot". I don't believe that the reply I made to the provocative statement was a personal attack against anyone. What I got in return was an unjustified personal attack and I requested that Xvart to step up and do what he said was going to be done. I had a feeling that nothing was going to be done and I was right. While I was trying to prove my point, Rattler got sucked in and went off the deep end on me.

Which brings me to this request. Since I was the one who was attacked by Rattler, which lead to his 3 day temp ban, I want to request it to be undone. I understand his frustration, and would have rather talked to him in a PM, but regardless I don't think he should be banned for this. If anything, feel free to ban me instead.

Thanks.

While I was trying to prove my point, Rattler got sucked in and went off the deep end on me.
Since I was one the one who was attacked by Rattler, which lead to his 3 day temp ban...
Exactly. Rattler went off the deep end and attacked you and therefore..according to the rules, got what he deserved. I like him just as much as the next person and didn't like to see him get banned, but if the mods reinstate him then the rules are in place for no good reason and it makes them, the mods, look wishy-washy. Fair is fair. Rules are meant to be followed and adhered to by everyone regardless of their station as a member. Rattler is an adult who is perfectly capable of keeping a civil tongue, just like the rest of us. When we step out of line we get 'time-out'.

I think this is a perfect example of the mods exercising their right to enforce civility on this forum. If you screw up you'll have 3 days to think about what you did. It's not the end of the world.

The ban will stand. The rules are the rules. Some people think we only apply the rules toward certain people. That's untrue. If you break a rule, the mods will enforce them. Sometimes we discuss what is the best action to take, because sometimes it may not be obvious that somebody has stepped over the line. Our first rule is to be nice, and we expect that rule to not be broken. If it is a clear violation then a mod is required to take action. Rattler knows the rules and I'm sure he knew the consequences of breaking the rule.

We want this to be a safe place where everybody respects everybody else and their opinion. The rules apply to everybody, not just certain people.

I would lie to chime in too since I was the one who did the actual banning of Rattler. As Ozzy said, the ban will stand. Outsider, it was you yourself who made a public issue out of the fact that you did not think the rules were being fairly enforced even after you had been told to keep it to PM and the use of the report button. Philcula is correct in that if we revoke the ban then we as Mods look like we are not standing by our own rules. Even if the other Mods disagreed with me on this I would fight to hold the ban because we as Mods have a responsibility to hold the rules and if we now let members dictate to us when and how we enforce the rules then we might as well not be Mods. Additionally I am not going to give some trouble maker (not anyone in specific, just talking hypitheticals) a free pass to argue that we Mods will make and break rules as we see fit.

The ban stands.

dont worry speed goats are fine Bruce, blew a couple of stalks so didnt get close enough to any bucks and didnt feel like using my either sex tag on a simple 50 yard offhand shot at a doe till i couldnt find one....brought home a mule deer doe and she is quartered and on ice in the cooler for the week........

i dont hold a thing against the mods.....i crossed the line, they did what they said they were going to do if someone did.....got absolutely no hard feelings against any of the mods......

Back