What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tobaica x Mirabilis advice

Vbkid

Getting There...
Title says it all, mostly. This is the one and only plant in my grow rack that doesn't appear happy.
It's leaves have been browning around the edges very quickly. The only thing different is it seems that it might have a higher ratio of LFS to perlite, and therefore more soggy than my other mixes, but still not by too much.
Today I put a bag over it to increase humidity...but any thoughts?
Anyone else grow this plant that know why it might not like my conditions?
Thanks,
Kyle

What are your temperatures?

Around 78 during the day with the lights on in the grow rack, maybe 71 or so at night?
I'll check on the night time temps today. Low humidity (around 40) but put the bag o nealrier to help that plant specifically.
Thanks!

Around 78 during the day with the lights on in the grow rack, maybe 71 or so at night?
I'll check on the night time temps today. Low humidity (around 40) but put the bag o nealrier to help that plant specifically.
Thanks!

Depending on how close the plant is to the lights, many growers warn that putting a bad around it will cook it. Just be careful...

Maybe needs warmer then? N. mirabilis likes it hot, and even though it's a hybrid with N. tobaica that trait for warmth seems to come through to a large degree.

Hard to say much more without without additional details, photos etc. I would also be checking for pests, perhaps taking a peek at the root health etc. What kind of water/fertilizer do you use? Salts can burn leaf edges too. Is the rest of the leaf a nice healthy color and the plant growing well otherwise?

I actually have several other mirabilis in the rack/on my windowsill doing great, so I'm nto sure if it is the temp. I've acclimated several plants in bags under the same lights, so I don't think it will scorch it. I use only distilled water, no ferts. The rest of the leaf is a very healthy green...but the edges havejust been browning almost immediately and I fear it's getting worse. Would repotting it help?

Would repotting it help?

Maybe??? I would at least at this point check the roots to see if they are healthy. Overwatering could cause it. Accidently letting the plant dry out once could cause it as well as kill roots which could stress the plant for months and months, although usually you will see wilted leaves.

What color is the underside of the leaf? Perhaps it's a pest/pathogen? Do you feed your plants at all? Perhaps it is a nutrition deficiency?

Do the edges brown and then stop or does the browning continue slowly until both sides reach in the middle?

Do you see this on any other plants or just this one?

The underside is a slightly darker green, but uniform in color. They start browning, but then slow rapidly, they seem to stay just borwn on the edges for a pretty long time.
No other plants are showing any signs of this, which is why I'm very puzzled!

I think thats an issue with media. Basically the media looks too tight...so incorporating more perlite is a good idea. I don't know about this exact hybrid, but mirablis and tobaica are supposed to be easier species. And your temps don't sound bad. The way the plant looks is as if the roots are dying. I also personally don't like perlite in nep mixes as they can leech magnesium into the mix. But, I know others here use it without issues.

Another reason why this might happen is mites. Mites cause this typically to sumatran highland species. Same growth pattern.

Ugh, mites would be bad. I haven't seen ay signs on other plants, which is good. Should I take any precautionary measures?
Anyone else thing it might be mites?

Ah pics good deal. Always helpful to see photos when possible.
One of the reasons I asked about the undersides of the leaves was to help rule out pests or pathogens. Mites and thrips will cause deformed growth on new leaves which I don't see here. Mites can also give the undersides of the leaves a brownish/bronzy color to the undersurface, particularly on the oldest leaves.

From what I see in the photos it looks more like a root zone issue from insufficient air, excess moisture. I think you chose the correct course with a more open mix. At this pont you need to basically treat it as a cutting and keep it moist but not overly wet and high humdity, ie bagged. And hopefully it will put out some new roots. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Back