What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on N.'trusmadiensis'

• Thread starter Blazeddayz
  • Start date
You've got newb syndrome. You see these fantastic plants and want to grow them all, but the problem is you aren't ready, regardless of price. Don't take that the wrong way.

They have a high mortality rate because Germany is far away, and his plants are usually laughably small. Since Wistuba is in Germany, you can talk about them.

Hmmm ok... well do you have any recommendations on medication i can take for the noob syndrome? :-))

Accidentally posted this reply in another thread:

It's just something about the plants. A considerable number (way too high to be forgivable IMO) die within a few weeks, even in the hands of very experienced growers.

The fact that Germany is far away is not a factor at all IMO. Sri Lanka is further away, and sometimes BE plants spend weeks in transit, and arrive fine with minimal losses. Same thing with EP, which is also much further away than Germany.

I don't think it has anything to do with distance as PK says. it has everything to do with the conditions the plants have been growing in. Most BE plants are hardened for a yr+ before being sold and then they are sent to distributors who grow them in our local climates. Hence, by this time the plant has had time to adjust, build a good root system and so on. However, wistuba plants are good.....but, the problem is that they aren't hardened too well or to put it correctly, they aren't hardened for too long. The plants that have been hardened for longer cost significantly more as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with distance as PK says.

I'm sure distance might have something to do with it, though...

xvart.

I'm sure distance might have something to do with it, though...

xvart.

Well of course the shorter a plant has to travel without it's growing conditions the better it will do in the long run... wouldnt you think ???

Well distance does make a difference, but I think PK meant that it is not the cause for the high mortality rate seen in Wistuba's clones. I too have heard from quite a few experienced growers that his clones have a high mortality rate. As Vraev mentioned, the clones simply have not been hardened off long enough and are still very immature when they are shipped out, causing them to be extra sensitive to climate changes.

Daniel

Exactly as Daniel says! thats what I mean.....the factor of the plants being hardened to soil conditions IMO is a lot more important than the distance factor. yes! the plants are staying in the packaging for long....but when we had our nepenthes group order from BE in canada it took like a week to finally get all the plants...Even expert growers say that neps can stay alive in properly packed conditions for nearly 2 weeks without significant issues.

I have placed numerous orders with Wistuba over the years and other than the first order, have had no losses. Most of his plants are fresh out of TC. Because of this you need tremendous patience with acclimatization. I keep them at very high humidity for the first 4 - 6 months to establish, and then slowly acclimate to lower levels. This has seemed to work for me over time but I am very patient.
My first order with Wistuba I did lose about half the plants ( believe I ordered 8 different species) but I believe that was due to my inexperience and not understanding TC plant acclamation.
Wistuba has some very hard to get species at reasonable prices. But these plants are very small and TC plants do seem to grow slower at first. I have no problem with that as I love to grow out small plants. I am also very patient and have waited up to 2 years for a plant to acclimate and grow pitchers.

Idk, I think I'll stick to my own methods. His neoguineensis is 40 euro. My neo seed was free. His insignis is 20something euro....but I have 16 of them (from seed, for free!)

I hear you PK. Hard to beat seed grown stock. I just got and started some neogeenensis seeds. Did not look very fresh, hope they come up. But back to topic, I believe this N. x trusmadiensis is from BE and not Wistuba??

I hear you PK. Hard to beat seed grown stock. I just got and started some neogeenensis seeds. Did not look very fresh, hope they come up. But back to topic, I believe this N. x trusmadiensis is from BE and not Wistuba??

Correct. I guess Rob had some Macrophylla seed in TC and 2 of the 24 clones turned out to be Trusmadiensis instead of Macrophylla.

Daniel

My N. x trusmadiensis Clone 2 arrived today. Much larger than expected, with 2 little formed pitchers already. Will let you know how it grows in a couple months.
Also got a N. northiana and N. insignis on this order and are also great looking plants.

My N. x trusmadiensis Clone 2 arrived today. Much larger than expected, with 2 little formed pitchers already. Will let you know how it grows in a couple months.
Also got a N. northiana and N. insignis on this order and are also great looking plants.

Lucky you! I won't be getting mine for like another month or so. I will be getting part of my order in this month though, and a different order from EP on Sunday, yay :). Can you take some pics? I too ordered a Northiana and I am interested in seeing how it looks (and of course the TM).

Daniel

Daniel could you tell me whom you ordered northiana from (name of the person, not the business ;) )?? I am personally searching for a veitchii highland form. I can't find it anywhere. I wonder if your vendor might have this.

Hey Varun,

I ordered it from Michael, but he no longer has any available. I also ordered a Veitchii (which he is also out of), but I am not sure if it is the highland form. His plants seem to go pretty quickly so it is best to order right away if you see something you like. Unfortunately I missed out on his Mirabilis V. 'Echinostoma' offerings that he had :(.

aaaahh! Damn! I sooo really want one of those. Guess its another of those plants which I initially thought : "Aahhh! maybe later." I guess I have to keep looking for them. Wistuba has it....but once again EUR is more expensive :(

I got one of his Mirabilis "echinostomas" and it just opened its first pitcher in my growing conditions yesterday. Very impressive so far. You can probably preorder northiana from Michael as he is putting another import order together for May08.

Whelp here it is! N.'trusmadiensis' just a couple snap shots hope you like.

DSC00373.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

I am getting a new computer/media center soon and will post pictures of mine. Although mine looks fairly identcal to yours at this stage. I can't wait to post some pictures of my Neps as I have just been a gawker thus far. Anyhow your trusmadiensis also looks larger than the N1 size. Mine is pushing 4.5" leaf tip to tip, yours looks about the same. Much larger than expected.

Back