What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting an RO system to water your plants? Today may be the day!

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I'm considering getting a RO system at some point, do you (or anyone else) have any comments or comparison points with these:
Aquatic Life RO Buddie Three Stage Reverse Osmosis (water already quite pure so 3-stage should be enough in my case)
iSpring RCC7 5-Stage Residential Under-Sink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System - WQA Gold Seal Certified, 75 GPD

I've been keeping reefs a long time, and only recently have jumped into CPs. From a reef keeping perspective I would strongly recommend just a 4 stage like the BRS filter linked to above. 5 stage I have found to be overkill unless you need a specialty canister to deal with chloramines, and 3 stages like the one you have linked I have found to be less universal and harder to modify and replace parts than the standard sized and simple 4stages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the studies I have seen it is easy for chlorine and chloramines to break through 1 charcoal filter. That's why you almost always see 1 sediment filter and then 2 carbon filters. The problem with those breaking through, is that it damages the membrane... and once that goes bad, you lose production and start getting dirtier water.
If I had to pick between the two you posted, I would go with the second one, DI is not necessary for CPs and gets expensive over time... and the 2nd one has the extra carbon canister.

Honestly, I would go with the middle one of those I suggested... unless you're going to use it for drinking then you'll want the one with the tank. But the tank only holds a few gallons at a time, so not too useful if you have more than a handful of plants. Then you can just fill a Brute garbage can or those water 5 gallon containers. If you want a bigger bladder tank, they're available... I use a few chained together, this is my largest one.. and holds up to 14 gallons. 20-Gallon Steel Bladder Tank - White - H2O Distributors

Back