What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Snake-Eating Crab

• Thread starter JRFxtreme
  • Start date
A couple nights ago I went looking for blue crabs in a brackish canal and happened upon something you don't see everyday. There was a little miniature stream flowing into the canal and sitting in the middle of it was a big blue crab with what I thought was strange looking vegetation in his claws. I quickly scooped him up in my dip net and when I peered into the net I realized he was actually munching on a live snake.

The snake was very pissed off as the crab chewed his face with his little... uh... whatever it is a crab eats with.

The snake:

snake1.jpg

"I don't know no snakes." Anyone know what kind it is?

The damage:

snake2.jpg

The offender, strangely more red/brown than blue:

snake3.jpg

The snake didn't move for about 30 minutes after I got it away from the crab but slowly started to get its energy back. I took him home and let him go by the lake out back. The next morning I looked for him but couldn't find him so he may have survived.

SWEET! haha I wonder what ozzy will say.

:censor:

I don't know snakes of Fl. but that looks like a brown watersnake

You can blame the crab, it's the way nature works.

I'm glad you saved it though it probably won't survive very long. If it does survive the injury, it'll probably get an infection.

Back