What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The ac did not work

I got a small ac unit from walmart last night and really did not have enough time to put it in the window so I just put it on a stand. Well it's on highest setting and it's not cooling anything down. There is cold air coming out of it but it's just not cooling the room down. It went down to 68. I can get 62 maybe with just putting ice packs by the plants. So what could the problem be? Does it need to be in the window with the back outside? I'm putting it in the window tomorrow. Next idea is to put in under the shelf with the plants because it blows up. Is it even safe to put on the ground in that way? This sucks because I have the perfect highland, if not ultra highland conditions in the winter. But it's summer and not so perfect. Is there anyone else who has an ac running for their plants?

Air conditioning does not "make cool air" it removes heat. Just like if you put a fridge in an air tight, room, left the doors open, it wouldn't get cool in the room either. Because a fridge separates warm air from cool air (that's why you feel the warm air coming out the bottom of the fridge when you stand close and it is running.) So install the unit in the window so the hot air it removes from the room air can be put outside, and the room will get cooler.
Andrew

Doh!!! LMAO! Or check into a Mr Slim ductless AC unit.

That ductless AC unit isn't ductless as in no exhaust... It still requires a 3" to outside (like most "portable" AC units do) I think ductless means no ducting throughout the house (since it only does a room ??? so isn't it like a window unit through the wall? LOL)
Andrew

edit- Oh that "ductless" thing does 2 or 3 rooms... but the part that expels the heat is outside, so you need a 3" hole going to each inside unit... but without ducts to each room since a unit is in each room... Odd LOL

We use the Mr Slim units all over the place at the university. They are very good at cooling rooms without windows, or to keep the window from having a bulky / tacky AC unit stuck in them. (Some windows can't even open)

Mr. Slims come in 1 to 3 zone units, but still have a compressor that remains outside and usually have to be within 30 feet of each zone.

Also some units can work in reverse and act as a heat pump in the winter.

I honestly think if I was going to cool a room.. I'd go with a portable one. I don't like them being int he window, and I like the idea of being able to move it around :D the problem though, is having to drain the condensation pan.. while window units just drip outside.

I was going to go for portable but I did not want to pay 500 for it. So tonight the ac will be in the window and maybe have better success.

I've seen them for 350 or so.. but yeah, portable vs window--- BTU for BTU window is cheaper. You should definitely have better success with it in the window :) let us know!
Andrew

Be aware that room Ac units are not really designed for much below 65f, your evaporator will start freezing over at some point following that... this is why refrigerators have a defrost cycle

Av

Yeah it said something about having to be above 65 to work. Last night it got it down to 60 inside my setup. I can get it 62-64 just with ice packs. So maybe I'll just have to have it a little warmer for the summer months and hope they don't hate me too much.

60 is a good low though, I run 60 at night and around 80 during the day. All my highland neps are loving it and doing nice healthy new growth.

Villosa though? I try to have 75-77 day and the lowest possible night. My lowii is pitchering and my hamata is growing really slow too. But I'm trying to go 40's and 50's at most.

Murphy the only way to achieve such temps is to build a terrarium with a small freezer on the bottom. Then you need to setup a thermostat to control a fan ducted into the freezer that will then blow the cold air into the terrarium. That is what I plan to do when I get up north. My villosa is growing fine, all be it slowly, with low temps down into the 60's. It is not good for long term, but it should be fine for a little while until you can get something made for them.

There is a ICPS article in one of the back issues that gives directions for converting a chest freezer into a ultra-highland grow chamber. I believe to specifically to grow N. villosa was the authors intention. Easiest way to get those low 40 temps for ultra-highlanders but quite expensive. Can sometimes find good chest freezers in the want ad's for a reasonable price. I do not know the back issues #, but if you are a member of ICPS, they send you a complete back issues on computer disc as part of membership.

Back