What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Transformation

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey again,
Can a terarium be "transformed" to acustom highland plants? Can a fan be installed to keep it cooled?

Thanks
Glider

i dont know if this would work for the extreme highlanders but you can try to give it indirect light to prevent the terrarium getting too hot with all the plants in there and depending on where you live, you can move it outside, but enclosed or figure out a way to have some air movement, in the night to get that drop

Do you think like one or two handheld fans would keep air circulation and temperature? I couldnt move them out side because of the Hot summers and VERY cold winters in Kentucky(it can get up to 103 F and down to -4 F) and the only time I could grow them out side is Fall.I might be able to in early spring(because of humidity) but that is only a short time. So it would be hopeless to grow them outside.
Glider

Fans won't do anything directly about temperature. Moving air seems 'cooler' because humans sweat and the evaporation of sweat (which is enhanced by moving air) is what actually has a cooling effect. Plants, on the other hand, don't really sweat - they do loose water to the air, but not so much for the purpose of keeping cool. A fan combined with a humidifier of some sort would do the trick - as humidity goes up, temperature goes down. A cheap way to get that effect is to just get an aquarium air pump, some hose and an airstone. You hook the  airstone to the pump and put it in a deep container of water. The bubbling increases the humidity and cools your tank a little. You could also seal your lights away from the terrarium and increase the air circulation to the lights - this would help blow away air warmed by the lights and reduce the amount of heat going into the terrarium.
I've been toying with the idea of rigging a fan and air duct to this old cat door I have, so I could draw in cold air from outside to cool my plants at night. I think I got the idea from a setup by somebody from here on TF, with an inlet from their window to their terrarium. I'm planning to move soon, so I haven't done it yet, but when I build my big highland terrarium, I'm either going to use this method or a refrigeration unit to get consistently cool air.
~Joe

Back