What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium Pics

WOW! Buckeye those are some great looking V.F.T.s. Did you gets those brite colors out of your V.F.T.s from grow lights? I read that the sunlight itself is much better, but I would disagree if your V.F.T.s look like that from grow lights. If you got them that way from grow lights, what is your setup and what fluorescent bulbs are you using? Also, is that Mylar tape you are using? I have never see it.

Here is my "super humid" tank!  
terrarium.jpg

Just a few bonsai trees and an orchid in it now.  Working on a living vivarium for my dart frogs that is modeled after this waterfall in Suriname, South America.
Suriname_Waterfall.jpg

I have written a detailed instruction set and drawn up blueprints for the whole construction (i am an obsessive perfectionist!) using many different techniques that i have found in vivarium and terrarium building.  I will post "progress" pictures as we go along, let me know if you would like to see my blueprints and instructions!

Drunknmonkey,

Why Suriname?  Have you ever lived there?  It's a pretty obscure country commonly looked over.  I used to live in the Netherlands and had some friends who went there after learning the Dutch language with me for a couple months.  It's just interesting to meet someone who's been there.  

Unless of course you just found that pic online and have no relation to Suriname at all.

Well, Here's my Tanks!

NEP Tank with a P. Esseriana.  You can barely see the flower of the Ping on the right.

MyNEPTank_Left.jpg

This is a pic showing the NEP tank on the right and my other Terrariums and seedlings growing on a PVC shelf on the left.  

CP_Cornerr.jpg

Odysseus,

I did in deed find that picture online, it was here
biggrin.gif
http://www.surinam.net/

I could not really tell you specifically why i shose suriname, i have never been there, but it looks beautiful. I guess you could say that i like to do things that are unique, not just a go with the flow aditude. Also, i picked the breed of dart frogs that i wanted to raise first and they happened to be from suriname, so i went with that line of thought for the environment tank.

tank1.jpg

Picture 1

tank2.jpg

Pisture 2

It's a 10 gallon tank, landscapped (multi level with cliffs) with a river bed in the middle which drains into a small pool at the front. Have multipul species of CP in there (drosera, dionaea, Nepenthis, blatterworths, etc etc).

We are now drawing out a LARGE scale version of the NEW tank in which we are trying to get funding for it.

Guest, very nice little setup. Being a biotope fanatic, I appreciate naturalistic representations in setups. Are you using a falst bottom...or is that a solid layer of something else along the bottom? What are you using as a mix for substrate? Any problems with it going sour yet? How long has it been setup?

Odesseus,
he is doing it to minic the habitat of the dendrobatus tinctorious suriname cobalt i believe.
biggrin.gif

awesome terrariums, to all of you!!!
laugh.gif
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (skylsdale @ Mar. 12 2004,06:59)]Guest, very nice little setup.  Being a biotope fanatic, I appreciate naturalistic representations in setups.  Are you using a falst bottom...or is that a solid layer of something else along the bottom?  What are you using as a mix for substrate?  Any problems with it going sour yet?  How long has it been setup?
Hi, this is Jon (guest). It's just a 10 gallon tank with a glass bottom. sand layer, then a mix of peat and spagnum. First created in August 2003. No problem going sour, it's go a built in NATURAL drainage pool in the center for flushing out the soil of back uyp waistes. More pictures to be coming soon. Plus this tank will be featured on CCook's Carnivorous once I get the article together...

Sounds good, Jon.  Look forward to the pictures! How deep do you keep the standing water level?

1/2 an inch and less. Sometimes no standing water.
Oh ya, and it's a natural enviroment, including BUGS and worms(small)..
:: waits for the dreaded gasp ::
Yes I did say bugs, it's a recreation of nature, it's in no way a starile enviroment (because nature is not starile). The plants love it. For exsample, I started out with 3 capensis and now have 20 due to bifracation.  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Very nice. Glad to see some insect in there as well, actually. I'm sure springtails galore! Keeping the substrate churned and aerated (if possible) would be very beneficial for the deeper areas, which would help prevent anaerobic pockets from forming (if the critters venture down that far).

I'm thinking of doing something similar with N. ampullaria, but have found very few people who actually keep Nepenthes in terrarium/vivarium type settings.

As for the tturning of the soil, we do that occassionally. Due to the fact that it is a living Model Railroad, it is constantly being landscaped.

JanW, are my eyes fooling me or do you have a layer of laterite on the bottom of your large terr. or is that just red gravel?
Props to you, beautiful tank!
Perhaps youd be interested in sharing some of your terrarium mojo with all of us here?

My first terrarium - just finished today.

terrarium1.jpg

Some comments or suggestions would be great!

Here is what I have wrong with it and will fix soon, or totally rebuild.....

1. I have a drainage in the center of the bottom and it travels up the back left edge. The problem is that I can not get to it without removing the tank from the shelf it is in. I would instead like to see it coming out of the front for easy access.

2. I made the gravel "stream" in the middle far too wide. THere is not enough growing area I think. I should decrease it by a few inches on each side.

Kyrakin, I would add more plants, and landscape it. How many gallons is that?

Here's some more pictures of my tank.

tankside.jpg

Side view of the landscaping.

tankplants.jpg

That shinny thing is a quarter.

tankfull1.jpg

Overhead view

There are a total of 14 species in the tank (not including all of the mosses).

Questions, feedback, and comments are very much welcome.

it is a 10 gal tank. I dont have any more plants right now. I have a bunch germinating, but it could take a while.

Back