What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Temperature question!

• Thread starter Dim
  • Start date
Lately we have been getting temperatures of 105F / 43C. Will the plants be ok or move them out of the direct sunlight?

I would give them some filtered sunlight when the temperature is the highest (around the noon) just so they wont get a sunburn.
Also dont mist them with water when its that hot, the millions of tiny waterdrops could reflect the light and make it stronger

Shade the pots or bury them or move them where they only get morning sun. Make sure there is plenty of water. Misting is ok if done very early in the morning or early evening.

Hi Dim. My area is also getting 100F+ weather. I HATE it, but my CP's, especially the VFTs love it!

Mine are acclimated and are used to the hot, dry conditions, so none of them have burned or shown any signs of distress. So far, the highest temperature they have experienced is 103F with a UV index of 11+, which was some day last week (I forgot the exact day). They were outside in full direct sun that day, and made it through with no problems. According to the weather channel, it is expected to get up to 105F tomorrow and I will be leaving them out where they usually are. I know it risky, but I want to see how far I can push them. :devil: :devil:

It seems kind of risky to leave them out in direct sun, so I would definitely move them under a tree or to an overall more shady area. As NAN mentioned, make sure they get lots of water. I mist the plants and re-saturate the dry LFS (that top dresses each pot) early in the morning and around 7PM when the sun is no longer hitting them. On very hot days I also keep their “water trays” with at least 2 inches of water.

Good luck!

Back