What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Valerie, Tamlin's wife thought it might be helpful if I said something here.

I won't go into the the circumstances leading to Tamlin's current situation but his medical condition is improving however his spirits are very, very down. He does not have Internet access.

For those who do not know William (Tamlin) his generosity in sharing knowledge and CPs is legendary within this community. Pay it forward is his philosophy - pass on his generosity to others. Many of you may be the beneficiaries of his philosophy and not even know it. A fine tribute to Tamlin can be found on Terraforums in this thread.

Valerie has created a Facebook page Support William Tamlin Dawnstar. Read it carefully and decide for yourself if and what you can do to help.

The main thing you can do is to write to him and let him know he is not alone and forgotten.

My apologies in advance, I am not good with words, but I will try to convey my message as best I can:

I have joined this community not long ago but shortly after I started participating here I have noticed that phrases such as: Tamlin's method of doing this or that or Tamlins way for that... became common in my lexicon. Surely I am not the only one who experienced this. I don't know William personally and I never spoken with him here directly, but he has influenced the way I approach my new hobby. His advices to other members here helped me as well. For that I am very thankful! William, get better soon as I am looking forward to more bits of wisdom from you.

I don't pretend to know the entire situation at all, but I will say this:

Tamlin Dawnstar has been a tremendous wealth of knowledge on this forum. He is one of the old timers who has posted only very infrequently, but every time he does, it's something that the rest of us, especially the late-comers and newbies cherish as words of sage wisdom.

William, if I had facebook, I'd be a fan, but I don't. If I had more time, I'd write you a letter. But I appreciate who you are, if nothing else but just an awesome source of carnivorous plant knowledge. I hope you get better! and I hope life brightens right up for you.

"Tamlin Effect"

Tamlin, among others, have had a direct effect as to the way I approach this hobby.

Early on, I would think of my extra material in terms of what I thought I could get for it; either money or plants. But as I saw people such as Tamlin give freely, it reminded me that I am not in this hobby to hoard or make personal gains. I am in it for the love of CPs. And what better way to express my love for these plants than to pass them on to others who share the same sentiment.

For anyone who has ever looked through my growlist, you will see that I have a little blurb in there about a few very generous individuals in this hobby. That shout out goes to people like Tamlin.

I have never personally received anything from Tamlin, but his generosity is legendary. I have had the pleasure of sending Tamlin some extra seed a year or two ago and felt it was an honor to do so.

I can say that one I the reasons I try to give back to the community is because of people like Tamlin. My generosity is but a drop in a bucket compared to those who have been generous to me, but I will try to even things out in the end.

I am another without Facebook,

I dont know the specifics of the situation, but I do know the dark places we sometimes find ourselves. Until you have walked that path it is hard to comprehend just how bad things can be.

There is no simple answer, but only the faith that each day will get a little better... and it can but you got to hang in there mate.

Find someting to make you smile daily. It may sound simple, but in my darkest hour I was given a kitten to tend to as part of my "recovery"

That silly cat saved my life mate.

Get your butt back here and lets trade some plants.... you're overdue a heli Im sure ;-)

Butch

You don't need a Facebook account to read the page :)

It only takes a few minutes to write a post card. They're like 32 cents stamped at the Post Office. Pick a few up the next time you send out packages or letters for trades. Or you can buy a pack of 10 online and have them delivered at home. Tamlin, Andrew, previous owner and the other moderators are in large responsible for setting the warm, giving tone of this community. Tamlin took the time and effort to answer questions online even when he was partially disabled and in discomfort and pain the past few years.

I have only e met Tamlin It has been a pleasure to trade ideas mostly get growing tips and general info about growing dews Sending positive energy for a good outcome for you Tamlin and some e hugs((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))

I dont know him... but he really seems like really neat and interesting guy. Can't wait to write him!

Thanks

Thank you, Not a Number. I am not on here much -- rather busy elsewhere -- but there was a recent bloom on the facebook page so I thought I would check here to see if this might be why. I sure do appreciate this second "testimonial" and I know Tamlin would, too. Please flood him with postcards or, if you are so moved, a nice long letter telling him all about your plants, what's going on with you... That would go further than you could imagine. You can check in at the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Support-William-Tamlin-Dawnstar/223980544300164
to get updates on his situation.
Thank you one and all!

Hi Valerie,

I would like to send a book to Tamlin. Should I send it to you first so that you can organise a package to him each week, in case other members also would like to send him stuff?

I'll send a postcard directly to the address found on Facebook. He'll be thrilled 'cos the last time we chatted was via email last year.

Thank you so much, Cindy! Yes, better to send it to me since he is only allowed one package per week. PM me for my address unless you already have it. :)

Last edited:
Dear lord!Ive been outta the picture for a while... what the heck is goin on with Tamllin? Ive gathered with my tiny widdle brain cells that he isnt alright though which is a damned shame. Ive never met him but I can easily say he would do just about anything to share his love of plants with everyone. A very kind hearted and selfless person.

I would like to recognize that Tamlin has received another donation in his account. Thank you so much, 'you know who you are'! I cannot tell you how much this lifts his spirits! Any amount helps but even just a postcard goes far.

Tamlin says just about the only the he has to look forward to is the daily mail call. People have not been writing.

He also tells me his best friend there is leaving to go home. Valerie posted that he's been transferred to another unit and he is feeling foresaken by his "friends".

It would gladden Tamlin's heart to see all the give-aways (for postage or not). It would seem to me that if you can find time in your busy lives to prepare and package plants, write/print the labels. Go to the post office and wait in line that you can spare a few minutes to write to the person that helped shape the sharing spirit of this community.

The next time you go to the post office pick up some pre-paid post cards. A pack of ten is $3.20. Write a quick note on what you are giving away and send it to William. A simple thing like this would brighten up his day.

I have some seeds and extra plants to give away but I'll sit on them until I hear that people are writing to William.

I just made a protective capsule with some misted pymgy sundew inside (and wrote a feel better card) and mailed it off to Tamlin. I dont know you much, but I hope you feel better buddy!

Lance

Last edited:
Tamlin was an awesome guy. Never met him in person, but I had the pleasure of speaking with him on the phone a couple times. I have thought about him lately and wondered how he has been. I have missed him. I will have to get some stamps and put the post office to work. He was a very big inspiration to me in the pay it forward arena. I have heard of the "Tamlin affect" too. He shared his filisify with me on paying it forward and it will come back to you.

I would just like to make it clear that Tamlin (my husband, William) is not dead. He is very much alive and not so well. He does not have access to the internet (and has not been able to read anything here) but can receive old fashioned snail mail addressed to William Dawnstar, P.O. Box 143, Jamesville, NY 13078. Please only letters, cards and/or money orders to that address. Any other gifts may be sent to our home (PM me if you need the address) but no plant material! I did finally find a capable (I hope) home for the few plants he was raising here. Perhaps you should send Not a Number any plants or seeds you would like to pass on... ;) And, like he said, it is such a tiny thing to send a postcard but is so important to him. Thanks, everyone. :-D

Share extra plants and seeds among yourselves, that's what William encouraged. I have limited space as fellow apartment dwellers know. But find it in your hearts to take the time to write to Tamlin.

Back