What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T5HO Ballast Dead?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So within the past two years I've purchased two Sunleaves four foot four bulb ballasts. Both have worked excellently. Just came back from a few days at the parents and one of them is completely unresponsive. Amy experience on if I can fix this in any way? Have the original box, mentions a five year warranty, but no receipt. Could possibly have them pull it up at the hydroponics store. What could have gone wrong? Mostly just need to get a replacement asap for my plants...

T5 ballasts are (usually) electronic so you would need knowledge in electronics and tools to do the fix. That is, if you get the case open and/or find out what is wrong with it. Try to get it replaced if possible.

I actually have a brand new replacement for a 54w 4 bulb fixture.
Its not a cheapie though, it has over current protection, open circuit protection, high ballast factor, yada yada yada
Im at school so Im going by memory, but I think its a Philips brand, I know its a major USA brand.... so its either Philips or GE or etc etc

but if you need it PM me,
(you could probably get one on ebay much less though)

they are not repairable... sealed epoxy units, you just replace them (failure should be very rare)

Last edited:
Appreciate it. The local hydroponics shop was awesome with me, exchanged it no questions asked, gave me a new one (switched out the bulbs though). I think mayeb a power surge was involved, got home, plugged it in, and two of the bulbs in my original fixture were now dead, so gotta replace those tonight!

good to hear!

T5 is sort of unique in that as the bulb ages the current levels increase. So most T5 ballasts should have over current protection to protect themselves. Likewise if a bulb is removed or the circuit opens they also need open circuit protection. Root cause analysis may have indicated failure in one of the protection circuits.

A T5 ballast is much more complex (and efficient) than an old magnetic T12 ballast.

Last edited:
Back