What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-shirt experiment - CP's

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I have thought for a while now about using some of my pictures to make some T-shirts and see how it works out.
I was going to place the image on the back, but my wife thought it would be better on the front.

Here's my first attempt.

t-shirt.jpg

What would you think would look better, front or back?

Looks nice! I'd put the whole pitcher there and "Nepenthes hamata" in old timey type. You can order large ink jet heat transfer sheets off ebay to do the image larger and more impressive over the shirt front (I like it best on the front). If you do, lemme know I'll definately have to get one from ya!

I've got a huge photo printer that I've never opened since I got on a whim last summer that would be perfect for this sort of project. It prints on sheets up to 13" x 20". PM me if you're interested, though it's kinda bulky to ship.

I think I'd take another pic where the whole pitcher is showing... the cut-off just doesn't look quite right to me.

Cool! And I think your Drosophyllum would be a good candidate on the other side or the Hummers Giant.

I agree on the cut-off. I thought the picture looked just a little odd but I didn't know what it was but endparenthesis spoke my mind.
smile_n_32.gif

Put the text "Hotel Hamata" above a picture of an entire pitcher and "Insects Welcome" below the Pitcher photo

You can use the lettering in "Insects Welcome" to cover the bottom edge of the hamata pic to soften that edge so it doesn't end so abrubtly.

If you wanted to stick with that hamata pic, I'd definitely hide the edge like BCK suggested. You could enlarge it and crop it on the vertical axis, so that it would frame up in the lower corner of the shirt. But then you'd need bigger iron-ons, and those can be expensive. I like this pic for the front, but maybe you could put a little raff pitcher hanging off the shoulder in back? I think that would look interesting.
~Joe

I'll go against the grain (imagine that!).

I like large pics on the back of the shirt with a smaller version on the front (where a left-side pocket would be).

Ex: a huge, well colored, cropped N. hamata on the back with a different, smaller cp pic on the front left pocket location (a red-trap VFT or a red trap adult D. ordensis or...) would make a cool shirt...

Great idea & concept btw. Congrats.

Cool shirt. Great idea too. How about "Hotel Hamata" on the front above the picture on the left breast and on the back under a larger picture "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."

Now that's cool!
smile.gif

I'll take two. Put them on my tab! LOL!!

Thanks for the comments and ideas.

curlingguy,
The feather effect looks much better then the abrupt edge that I had. Next one I make I'll remember that.
I wish I had a complete shot of the N. hamata pitcher. I could take one but it would involve cutting off a leaf and pitcher to do it.

I think a little larger print would look better, but the iron on is only 8.5 X 11. I might experiment with trying to use more then one page together to make a larger picture.

I have a nice complete shot of my N. rafflesiana which I think I'll use for my next shirt.
Nraff1.jpg

I should have the results of my next try tomorrow sometime.

Here are 2 more shirts I made up.

tnraff.jpg

thamata.jpg

I moved the pitcher around to get a shot of the complete pitcher this time. I only had a blue shirt left that I bought and was not sure how it was going to turn out. I do not like it. The only problem is I bought nice shirts to use and hate to throw it away. I guess I need to buy some more tan and white ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Feb. 03 2006,6:09)]
edited%20tshirt.jpg
smile_n_32.gif
Now that is flippin awsome deffinately need me one of those T-shirts.. Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice job! I like those. I've been wanting to make some T-shirts.

Great shirts!

Cool so far. Love the "hotel hamata"

Just one comment though, from someone who used to try and do iron-on t-shirts for the local boy scouts... Be careful what type of transfer paper you use. If it's easy enought to iron on, it probably won't handle the heat of a dryer and thusly becomes "hang or lay flat to dry only". I've had mixed results. Some brands do fine, others melt and make a mess when accidentally tossed in the dryer... Unfortunately I can't remember which brand was which - I got rid of that stuff of mine a while back.

Back