What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swine flu - too close to home

well, my flu lasted 2 weeks... (I think)

I still wouldn't be too terribly concerned with H1N1. Tens of thousands die per year from conventional flus but that doesn't quite reach the saturation point with our twenty-four hour news cycle. What's that old Joseph Stalin quote? "One death is a tragedy and a thousand is a statistic." Who's to know what ultimately caused the deaths in Mexico, after all? During the time I spent there back in the eighties, the medical practices were just short of medieval (pregnant women were still widely told by some clinics to come indoors during eclipses to protect their unborn) -- and Mexico City was the last place where I actually saw ether being used . . .

I just got this in my e-mail from the local news station.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Swine flu case confirmed at Notre Dame
-------------------------------------------------------------

Hello This is a breaking news alert from Fox 28

SOUTH BEND (FOX 28 - WSJV) - A Notre Dame student has the first confirmed
case of the swine flu in Indiana. The Indiana Health Department says the
case was found in St. Joseph County.

The Indiana health commissioner said Tuesday that the Notre Dame student is
"doing well."

State health Commissioner Judy Monroe said the person was a young adult
from northern Indiana. This is the first confirmed swine flu case in the
state of Indiana.

She said the case had been confirmed in testing by the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention.

The agency said Sunday that it had sent two flu specimens for tests by the
CDC. The agency said the flu specimens did not match other strains that
Indiana has seen this year.

I personally agree with you cap. Its just another flu strain. There are two vaccines that are reported to work on it. And the deaths of the individuals with this particular flu were probably not of the best of health. Imo its just people freaking out because of the whole 2012 apocalypse thing. I call BS ;)

Kris, do you mean me, est, or bigbella? looking back I don't see where cap said that.

ahhh sorry
reading this crap on a cellphone is difficult at times
i think it was Est XP

calm down everyone. Its another flu, its all good. As BB (?) said, thousands of people die from "regular" flu, and Mexico is in serious turmoil at the moment. A country on the brink of a civil-war, that just had a 5.8 earthquake, is poor, and largely uneducated since the whoel cartel thing become so lucrative is no place to be if you develop a potentialy life threatning disease. In the Us, we have vaccines and stuff to sure it. No problem. No worries.

Haha, my mom started telling me about this the other night. As soon as she started going on about it I just said "Don't want to hear about it." To which she responded "They're saying it might be the next pandemic!"

I've been through the mad cow disease and bird flu scares. Definitely not gonna freak out over this. If we consider the numbers 64 cases in the US and 300000000 people living here. that means that it is currently affecting less than .0000213 percent of the population. In California, the number skyrockets to an astounding .0000272 percent.

Call me a nihilist, but I don't see the point in freaking out over this. I hate when the media does this crap.

first off would you individuals say there is a vaccine knock it off.....there is no vaccine against it....it just recently popped up and it takes atleast 8 months to get a vaccine online......however if you get it diagnosed with in the first 36 hours it responds real well to antiviral meds and they will usually kick it out of your system....after 48 hours your treating symptoms cause there aint jack you can do about the virus

and its just another bad strain of the flu.....its going to affect some worse than others, it will kill a few ppl....i doubt its the next pandemic though who knows cause its not if thats going to happen but when.......

man...right now although there aren't any cases confirmed in Arizona, two samples have been sent to the CDC.And rattler is right; there isn't a vaccine yet, and even if one is made, there's no telling if the virus will change it's DNA.

I myself am sick right now, but I know it ain't the swine flu.

Plus, Halt I hope your friend is doing alright! :D

man...right now although there aren't any cases confirmed in Arizona, two samples have been sent to the CDC.And rattler is right; there isn't a vaccine yet, and even if one is made, there's no telling if the virus will change it's DNA.

I myself am sick right now, but I know it ain't the swine flu.

Plus, Halt I hope your friend is doing alright! :D

I was terribly sorry to read of Halt's friend's illness but much of this alarm is a bit premature for the public at large; and it turns out that anti-virals such as Tamiflu are effective against H1N1. There is a run on those drugs now, especially where there may be an outbreak in NYC . . .

the number one reason there has been no vaccine for this strain is that they dont watch swine flus like they do the avian flus.....the swine ones dont jump to ppl as easily.....two, they tend to watch Asia, not Mexico as most the major heavy duty flu viruses start off in Asia and work their way here....so this one seems to have caught them by surprise a bit......

from what ive seen so far this appears to be a potent strain but not horribly so, if more ppl start dropping off like flies ill reassess the situation......and im one of the high risk groups that have big problems with the major flus as my lungs are a tad screwy......so far i aint any more worried bout this one than any of the other major flu strains that hits out shores......

I'm not worried, I've already been sick with the cold & flu for two weeks! It's just about gone for me. I'm glad to be done with the cold pills, I'm finally awake again! :D

I'm rarely around large masses of people, the six other people in the mail room is my largest contact with others outside the grocery store. If I took public transport and lived in a city swarming with people (like where my dad lives-standing room only) I might be more concerned.

Thoughts of the T-virus come to mind.. Heh.

strange because i saw a couple websites saying the swine flu is sensitive to 2 of the flu vaccines, i worded it wrong. oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza)
In a country with relatively good medical care, (maybe not when it comes to insurance and crap hahah) i seriously doubt that this is going to reach the size to be called a pandemic...with only 64 reported cases or so, so far....

calm down everyone. Its another flu, its all good. As BB (?) said, thousands of people die from "regular" flu, and Mexico is in serious turmoil at the moment. A country on the brink of a civil-war, that just had a 5.8 earthquake, is poor, and largely uneducated since the whoel cartel thing become so lucrative is no place to be if you develop a potentialy life threatning disease. In the Us, we have vaccines and stuff to sure it. No problem. No worries.

UUMMMMM sorry frankie if i am as stupid as this comes out ......... There is no cure or vaccines for swine flue ......as it affcets eldery an people an others :0o:with comprimised immune systems .

In all my environmental/occupational health classes that I have taken, I must have heard the following dozens and dozen of times:
"The young, the old, and the immunocompromised..."

If numerous people outside those categories^ start dying in the US, I'll start worrying....

I also think the media is hyping it up. Maybe they think if they don't, some people won't be as careful?

I'm already the next thing to a germaphobe... So I'm no more paranoid over this than the common cold. LOL I avoid public restrooms as much as possible, and if I do have to use one I touch the door handles and the stall doors all with tissues and paper towels, scrub my hands at the sink like there's no tomorrow, and turn the faucet off and open the door with another clean tissue. Did you know there is more harmful bacteria in the average person's mouth then is on the entire surface of a live chicken! That's disgusting! Think about people who use their hand instead of the elbow to cover a cough or sneeze. Then they go through the stores touching food and everything else. yuck It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

My friend has it, shes in the Hospital atm.. but my friend said that kids immune systems are stronger so she prob. won't die.

Actually I believe the opposite is true. In general, kids have not had the time to fight off as many sicknesses as adults have, thus adults are able to handle something like this more effectively. At least that is what I heard. I am by no means a medical expert.

There's a suspected case of the swine flu in the next town over. Lucky dogs don't have school for the rest of the week.

Back