What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suratensis and Kampotiana - What are their visual differences?

Anyone know how to distinguish suratensis and kampotiana reliably? They look very similar to me.

All of the Indochinese species are defined by minute details in indumentum, leaf attachment and shape differences, and flower arrangements more than they are pitcher color or shape usually, and especially geographic range for many. This is a group you have to take back to the species descriptions to compare for, you won't be able to do it at a glance without having worked with them for significant amounts of time.
These two species don't grow anywhere near each other in the wild, and kampotiana should have shorter, stouter glabrous leaves on average. suratensis is usually more confused with its relative kongkandana because structurally they are far closer.

Thank you hcarlton. I have a suratensis at home and it has some stripes so I am not sure whether it a suratensis or kampotiana. I will post a picture on the forums later to ID it.

The most key traits are not going to be things easily seen in pictures, unless you have a serious macro lens to work with and a LOT of photos to cover all parts of the plant. Pitchers will not say much and stripes mean nearly nothing in this group.

The most key traits are not going to be things easily seen in pictures, unless you have a serious macro lens to work with and a LOT of photos to cover all parts of the plant. Pitchers will not say much and stripes mean nearly nothing in this group.

Thanks hcarlton. I'll upload pictures if needed then. If not this stays as what the seller labelled, as a suratensis.

Back