What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews not finishing their meal

Adelae have feasted on small fruit flies this year and now have them stuck all over them and look like they have been covered in dirt. Were they never told to clean their plate or that other plants are starving in other areas of the world? Could be attention-seeking to get me to get the forceps and gently remove the partially eaten caracsses?
I did watch for a while as a small spider escaped them the other day. I may have to clean them up. It is like a plant that is bearing dirt fruit.

It probably doesn't look like it to you, but your plant is, in fact, eating.
The plant will only digest the "juices" of the insect, never the skeletal structure. That's why you find the remaining carcasses littered on the leaves.

Don't worry about removing them.

Don't worry about removing them.

True. I read in "The Savage Garden" that spiders and other insects will be tempted to eat the carcasses and will accidentally get caught themselves.

Wind and rain is what cleans them off in nature.

Back