What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Identity Crisis

Can someone tell me how long it took their Drosera binata var. multifida extrema to start getting multiple branches. I have had mine for about a month and I'm just getting 4 branches per leaf. Just want to know because the more I look at it, the more it looks like a Marston Dragon which is cool and all but that would mean that I didn't get what I asked for.

Branches come out as the plant matures and establishes itself. A month isn't a very long time for carnivorous plants. For example, a leaf cutting from a multifida would send out ordinary 2 pronged leaves for a couple of months. Wait a few more months and you should see it's distinctive leaves develop.

Thanks for the reassurance Grey Moss. I should be more patient. Just can't wait for it to fork all over the place.

How quickly a binata-complex plant starts branching and the number of branches it will produce can depend on age, establishment in its current conditions, the size of the pot it's in, the amount of light it's getting, even the time of year etc. A plant in lower light or a smaller pot will produce fewer branches than one that is in an expansive pot or strong sun; before I moved all my binata-complex outside to grow they stayed relatively small, lanky, and even large leaves had few branches, but out in all-day sunlight and bigger pots the multifida will produce leaves averaging about 6" across with up to 16 branches or more. They also take a few months after the winter forced-dormancy I have to give them to reach that though, as they reestablish in those conditions.

Back