What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Plant from local nursery

Hi all,

Bought a curious looking plant from a local nursery the other day. It's soft to the touch and so are the spikes on the plant as well. I have never seen this before and it produces the crazies looking flowers. They look just like starfish :0o:

Anyone know what this is?

IMG_01.jpg

IMG_02.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Orbea dummeri. Its quite rare to encounter one for sale. That's quite the score! Read up on its cultivation needs - its a South African desert plant and it needs to have dry winters, and not get too cold, or the roots rot out. See: Orbea dummeri (Stapelia dummeri) | World of Succulents

Last edited:
Oooh, nice Stapelia. How's the scent?

Orbea dummeri. Its quite rare to encounter one for sale. That's quite the score! Read up on its cultivation needs - its a South African desert plant and it needs to have dry winters, and not get too cold, or the roots rot out. See: Orbea dummeri (Stapelia dummeri) | World of Succulents

Many thanks! never knew I had such a unique plant in my possession.

I will remember to keep it protected from the cold and no watering during winter. It's growing quite rapidly in my pot at the moment and has produced upward of 7 flowers so far.

Last edited:
Many thanks! never knew I had such a unique plant in my possession.

I will remember to keep it protected from the cold and no watering during winter. It's growing quite rapidly in my pot at the moment and has produced upward of 7 flowers so far.

Rare only here in North America, I suspect. In your region, its probably not scarce at all! And I doubt you will have any trouble meeting its climate requirements either, as its technically a native plant where you are. Its a great species!

Last edited:
Rare only here in North America, I suspect. In your region, its probably not scarce at all! And I doubt you will have any trouble meeting its climate requirements either, as its technically a native plant where you are. Its a great species!

Haha, ok fair enough. Just wish all my CPs would grow as happily as the succulents do..

Last edited:
Holy crap. I've only seen one of those once.

Back