What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Story of how Satan came to be found in the bible?

• Thread starter joossa
  • Start date
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,10:41)]And to back up my statement at how murderous your god is, I can quote scripture, too!

"And The Lord [see Rock Of Ages] said to Moses ... He who blasphemes the Name of The Lord shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him; the sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death." (Leviticus 24:13,16 RSV)

"If your brother, the son of your mother, or your son, or your daughter, or the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, entices you secretly, saying, 'Let us go and serve other gods ... You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from The Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage." (Deuteronomy 13:6,10 RSV)

"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day ... And The Lord said to Moses, "The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." (Numbers 15:32,35 RSV)'

If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her; Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city. Deuteronomy 22:23-24

If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her ... and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: And the damsel's father shall say ... these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. ... But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die. Deuteronomy 22:13-21

If there be found among you ... that ... hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them ... Then shalt thou ... tone them with stones, till they die. Deuteronomy 17:2-5

f a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die. Deuteronomy 21:18-21

A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

Thou didst blaspheme God and the king. And then carry him out, and stone him, that he may die. 1 Kings 21:10

And now we shall look at other BS punishments. This text is courtesy of Landoverbabtist.org

1. What punishment did God say is mandatory for an unruly child?

Correct answer: D. (Stoning To Death) "And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die" (Deuteronomy 21:20-21). "For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death" (Mark 7:10). "And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death" (Exodus 21:15). "And he that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death (Exodus 21:17)."

2. What is God's punishment for women who wear showy jewelry and clothing?

Correct answer: C. (Ugliness, misery and death) "In that day the Lord will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon. The chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels. The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackcloth; and burning instead of beauty. Thy men shall fall by the sword, and thy might in the war. And her gates shall lament and mourn: and she being desolate shall sit upon the ground" (Isaiah 3:17-26).

3. What is God's punishment of those who overeat?

Correct answer: B. (Death by plague) "And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp. And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague" (Numbers 11:32-33). "The wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them, and smote down the chosen men of Israel" (Psalms 78:31).

4. What did Jesus say happens to those who have premarital sex?

Correct answer: C. (They cannot enter Heaven so they must wind up in Hell) "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

5. What is the punishment for a single mother having a boy out of wedlock?

Correct answer: D. (The woman may not be punished but the child and his descendants will go straight to Hell) "A nice guy shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord: even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord" (Deuteronomy 23:2).

6. What has God done in the past to children who make fun of unattractive people?

Correct answer: D. (He sent bears to maul the children to death) "And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them" (2 Kings 2:23-24).

7. What punishment did God promise for promiscuous women?

Correct answer: B. (His followers will cut off their noses and ears, burn them in fire, take away their children and strip them naked) "And I will set my jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: they shall take away thy nose and thine ears; and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters; and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire. They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels. Thus will I make thy lewdness to cease from thee, and thy nice galdom brought from the land of Egypt: so that thou shalt not lift up thine eyes unto them, nor remember Egypt any more" (Ezekiel 23:25-27). "And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the nice gal, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire (Leviticus 21:9)."

8. What does God demand happen to those couples who have sex during the woman's time of the month?

Correct answer: C. (They are to be banished from society and not permitted to interact with civilized people) "And if a man shall lie with a woman having her sickness, and shall uncover her nakedness; he hath discovered her fountain, and she hath uncovered the fountain of her blood: and both of them shall be cut off from among their people." Leviticus 20:18.

9. What punishment does God mandate for a man who rapes a virgin?

Correct Answer: D. (The rapist and his victim shall be married) "If a man finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days Deuteronomy 22:28-29)."

10. What did Jesus do to those who failed to sell all their possessions and give every dime to the Lord?

Correct Answer: C. (Jesus struck them dead) "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? . . . And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things. . . . Then fell [Sapphira] straightway at [Peter's] feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband." Acts 5:1-10.

That's the most loving being i've ever met. Man, I'm so happy someone loves the world as to have sent his only begotten son to die for out sins, such as wearing too much jewelry, being born out of wedlock, being violent act, and if you're a woman, having sex on your period.

What I find most loving about god is how he often punishes innocent children, such as those of promiscuous women and those born out of wedlock.

SERIOUSLY! HOW CAN PEOPLE IGNORE AND/OR JUSTIFY THIS! THIS IS MURDER! THIS IS NOT JUSTICE! DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP ABOUT IT "BEING JUSTICE BECAUSE GOD COMMANDED IT"! THIS IS MURDER!
I don't have time right now to cite each instance and explain each context. So I found 2 links that work very well to cover all your complaints:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/killergod.html

and

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/notkill.html

Yeah. Those links don't really mean anything at all. Those killings are for BS reasons. That is not love and not justice in my book. Believe what you wish. Those links are basically saying that it's justice because God says so. Yeah, ok. I'm not that gullible; I challenge god and his followers and they can't ever make good reasons for crap like that. You can not justify BS like that.

If we should follow the bible and this nation is founded on christianity, I say we kill people for having different beliefs (This includes ALL Hindus, Wiccans, Atheists, and Buddhists, etc.), for working on the sabbath (nay, for picking up sticks on the sabbath. Is picking your nose on the sabbath a sin, too?) and for disobeying their parents. That'll teach those youngsters to listen to the Devil's music....

I also say make it legal to sell your daughters and to own slaves. I mean, afterall, God says it's ok and thus is so. This nation WAS founded on christian values, afterall.

sad.gif
now, now.

Soo... who likes broccoli?
_Broccoli.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Yeah. Those links don't really mean anything at all. Those killings are for BS reasons. That is not love and not justice in my book. Believe what you wish. Those links are basically saying that it's justice because God says so. Yeah, ok. I'm not that gullible; I challenge god and his followers and they can't ever make good reasons for crap like that. You can not justify BS like that.

I gave you justifications. Re-read.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
If we should follow the bible and this nation is founded on christianity, I say we kill people for having different beliefs (This includes ALL Hindus, Wiccans, Atheists, and Buddhists, etc.), for working on the sabbath (nay, for picking up sticks on the sabbath. Is picking your nose on the sabbath a sin, too?) and for disobeying their parents. That'll teach those youngsters to listen to the Devil's music....

Now this is just nonsense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I also say make it legal to sell your daughters and to own slaves. I mean, afterall, God says it's ok and thus is so.

More nonsense...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
This nation WAS founded on christian values, afterall.

I have taught you something afterall
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have taught you something afterall .
why does it matter what values this nation was founded on? Just wondering.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Dec. 07 2006,1:46)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I have taught you something afterall .
why does it matter what values this nation was founded on? Just wondering.
I believe it is important to be truthful (as to ones knowledge) as possible. When someone comes around claiming that America was founded by secularist people, I thought it was necessary to correct them. Especially since they were using the "founding fathers were secularists" reasoning to why America shouldn't have any Judeo-Christian values.

No no no. It's not nonsense! According to your reasoning and your bible, it's perfectly acceptable, nay, it's real justice. You can't pick and choose the parts of the bible you like and the parts you don't like. These things are ordained by your god, and thus are good and just and fair.

Is it REALLY nonsense? Yes. You and I both know it's nonsense, but why is it in the bible? One (me) could say the bible is nonsense. If it is nonsense why did god command it? These are god's laws. You can't dismiss them so easily. Those are REAL christian values. If you don't want a secular nation, why not put these laws into practice since they are divinely ordained?

If you want to see a nation that follows the laws of their own god, go look at the middle eastern countries. They are working out REALLY well. One might say that the laws of the bible aren't really that different that the BS laws in countries like Iran. Stonings, beheadings, etc. are common place there. You and I are both Kaffir (sp?) to them. If we go into their town they can do with us as they wish. According to the laws of their god, which some people may say Allah and God and one and the same, they can sell us into slavery (servitude is really a better word) and it's just dandy.

Sigh, I leave this thread for a couple days and looks what happens
wink.gif.gif

It seems we are facing a central question of "how can there be a God who is Love, but at the same times orders executions for people in the OT, and 'throws' people into hell.? Can Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, and Justice coexist? If they can how, and does the God of the Bible display it?"

If those are the questions that are being raised now please allow me some time to answer them, and allow me to ask other questions. These matters are very very deep, and filled with much emotion. It is hard in this subject to keep our emotions separate from our reasoning. It isn't like I haven't thought God went way too far in some situations. I've been raised in this culture too, and not the culture of the OT.

Finally I would like to ask that those who think God issues cruel edicts and that Christianity is a system of fear to: First, take a breather. We all know that attacks get us no where, nor will anger. Second, try to think of things in context of the whole Bible. The Bible is more of a story than a set of rules. Third, realize that some things cannot be answered definitively, and please forgive us if we cannot give satisfying questions. Forth, please do not judge the whole on a few. We are all guilty of this, even I.

I'm glade that this discussion is happening, and when I have more time to devote to this I will try my hardest to answer questions. It is finals time for me, and if you have really pressing questions just send me a PM.

[b said:
I'm actually kinda liking this site. I've read 10 articles or so, and I think a lot of it is faulty, but it is good to see someone at least attempting to approach the matter rationally. I don't respect fundamentalists much, but I like theologians... the good ones put a lot of effort into ironing out all the inherent problems in their belief systems. Each worldview has at its core a number of assumptions that can never be verified, but as long as people have a logical picture of the chain of implications inherent to that assumption, they can't really be faulted. Subtle (or not so subtle) self-contradiction is where most of the problems lie in dogmas.

This article is my favorite so far. He addresses the problems with the argument and gives credit to all the philosophers on the opposing side who would respond with, "Well, duh." I like that approach.

For all the research and pondering he's done, he does seem to have a number of blind spots. For example in his article on "The God Delusion" he accuses Dawkins of bad intellectual tactics that he himself uses in many of his other articles. And though he agrees with scientists and philosophers on many points (being trained as a scientist I guess he must), he seems to be missing the core of the argument on many others.

I'm also wondering about the statement: "I have surveyed the world's religions and found the biblical description of God to be most consistent with the reality of the universe." I haven't read them all but I haven't hit an article yet that suggests he has any real exposure to any non-abrahamic religions, in which case he'd be missing a whole lot.

But, in any case, it's nice to read some arguments that are a step up from the usual ones you hear every day.

It's a weird thing being human. You can spend an entire lifetime trying to build the best model of the universe that you possibly can, and still end up with so many holes (I haven't lived a lifetime yet, but I don't expect that I could end up any differently). It's sad that so many people, after all that hard work, only manage to build themselves a cage.

This nation actually started with two types of people. In 1607 a group of Englishmen came to make their fortunes in the new world. They established Jamestown. Many similar settlements followed. In 1620, the conservative Christians sailed over on the Mayflower. These people came up with a social contract, the Mayflower Compact, that meant provided for just and equal laws to be established and followed by the people. The Pilgrims settled at Plymouth, and they were followed by lots of Puritans.

These settlements grew into colonies, and eventually we formed a country with a constitution based on the belief that we can all get along in spite of our differences.

Now, about Old Testament law. This was not God's ideal society. It was only a big step in that direction. The Israelites were not ready for a hippie society. Levitical law was liberal. It was progress. The community was responsible for the actions of its members, so if a man earned the death penalty, the entire community stoned him. Also, each man was responsible for the actions of his own family and servants and animals.

Check out Babylonian law:

"The death penalty was freely awarded for theft, and other crimes regarded as coming under that section: for theft involving entrance of palace or temple treasury, for illegal purchase from minor or slave, for selling stolen goods or receiving the same, for common theft in the open (in default of multiple restoration) or receiving the same, for false claim to goods, for kidnapping, for assisting or harbouring fugitive slaves, for detaining or appropriating same, for brigandage, for fraudulent sale of drink, for disorderly conduct of tavern, for delegation of personal service, for misappropriating the levy, for oppression of feudal holders, for causing death of a householder by bad building. The manner of death is not specified in these cases.

This death penalty was also fixed for such conduct as placed another in danger of death. A specified form of death penalty occurs in the following cases: gibbeting (on the spot where crime was committed) for burglary, later also for encroaching on the king's highway, for getting a slave-brand obliterated, for procuring a husband's death; burning for incest with own mother, for a vestal entering or opening a tavern, for theft at fire (on the spot); drowning for adultery, violent act of a betrothed maiden, bigamy, bad conduct as wife, seduction of a daughter-in-law."

Yeah, those babylonian laws were stupid, too.

I like the Quakers...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a weird thing being human. You can spend an entire lifetime trying to build the best model of the universe that you possibly can, and still end up with so many holes (I haven't lived a lifetime yet, but I don't expect that I could end up any differently). It's sad that so many people, after all that hard work, only manage to build themselves a cage.

I like that!

Man, this thread is really turning into a headache for me..  
crap.gif

But in the interest of continuing the debate..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yeah... I had the same experience. It was people like you saying things like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]All those silly orders from your god to kill everyone for the silliest little things.
It was comments like these that made it seem as if you were picking on outsiders personally.  Doesn't it seem that way to you?  Afterall, we're debating the christian God.

As far as the flood goes,  the fact that God promises he would never do something like that again shows he felt what he did may have been too harsh.  If this is true it means that he has regrets and if he were truely perfect then his actions would not cause him to have regrets.  I beleive this is undisputable because of his promise it shows that even if the same scenario were to happen, he would refrain from flooding the earth again.  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day ... And The Lord said to Moses, "The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." (Numbers 15:32,35 RSV)'

I find that funny.  So does God consider the act of stoneing work or recreation?  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"If a man finds a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days Deuteronomy 22:28-29)."

Does God consider that a fate worse than death?
wink.gif.gif

I spoke up because he spoke about my friend and he doesn't even know him. Those killings are silly. I've said it before and i'll say it again.

Personally, I can't wait to be stoned to death. I think i'll get started right now...
Oo.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,9:03)]I spoke up because he spoke about my friend and he doesn't even know him. Those killings are silly. I've said it before and i'll say it again.

Personally, I can't wait to be stoned to death. I think i'll get started right now...
Oo.gif

I don't understand how knowing Josh as you claim to know him matters? The sake of debate isn't to form and proclaim clicks.

I was sticking up for him. You made assumptions that I thought were pretty rude.

clicks? I don't know what you're talking about. Really I don't. I left that HS crap behind.

Why don't we go back a step and you tell me how all the murderous orders from god are just and loving? You pretty much ignored it. You gave me two links that only tried feebily to justify it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,9:39)]Auctually, no what you said also applied to me since I have such a distaste with the church. I was sticking up for him. You made assumptions that I thought were pretty rude.

Why don't we go back a step and you tell me how all the murderous orders from god are just and loving? You pretty much ignored it. You gave me two links that only tried feebily to justify it.
I quoted you word from word... this was clearly about your friend Josh and the fact that I don't know him.

Sticking up for him? I'm sure Josh can stand on his own two feet. Give him some merit.

If you were to read the two links I provided in it's fullness I'm sure you can find the answer to what you're looking for. Maybe you're just ignoring the answer?

your right, sticking up for people is probably a sin, too.

I read them TWICE dude! It's bs! Word for word!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 07 2006,9:45)]your right, sticking up for people is probably a sin, too.

I read them TWICE dude! It's bs! Word for word!
How many more examples of argumentative immaturity are you going to show? There's no fight going on here, simmah down. This was a friendly debate until you took it upon yourself to take everything at a personal level. Once again if Josh wants to defend his argument he will. All your doing is ruining whatever argument he had. Can you please try to keep on topic and quit dragging this thread through the mud? Otherwise PM me and spare everyone else.

Well I'll just have to go through it pretty much paragraph by paragraph if you don't believe I read them.

"thou shalt not murder" ok. That's cool. i can accept a bad translation.

""Do not put anyone to death without cause."2 The Hebrew word used here is ratsach,3 which nearly always refers to intentional killing without cause (unless indicated otherwise by context). Hebrew law recognized accidental killing as not punishable. In fact, specific cities were designated as "cities of refuge," so that an unintentional killer could flee to escape retribution.4 The Hebrew word for "kill" in this instance is not ratsach, but nakah, which can refer to either premeditated or unintentional killing, depending upon context.5 Other Hebrew words also can refer to killing.6-8 The punishment for murder was the death sentence.9 However, to be convicted, there needed to be at least two eyewitnesses.10"

I don't believe that those absurd reasons for stoning to death are "with cause". Rebeling against your parents, wearing flashy jewely, and "working" on the sabbath are not reasons to kill someone.... Call me crazy...

"According to the Bible, God killed every human except Noah, his wife, his sons, and their wives in the flood. Were any of these people killed unjustly? The Bible says specifically that all people (except Noah and his family) had become corrupted.11 Not only had all people become corrupted, but they were continually plotting evil!12 Is it possible that an entire culture can become corrupted? You bet! Recent history proves the point rather well. When the Nazis took over Germany before WWII, opposition was crushed and removed. When they began their purging of the undesirables (e.g., the Jews), virtually the entire society went along with the plan. Further examples are given on another page. So, the Bible indicates that no innocent people were killed in the flood."

One must ask if the children who were raised to be "corrupted" are at fault. If it's all you know, it's all you know. Doesn't matter, god "killed them with "cause" anyway. This "corruption" was compared to nazi's here. Something tells me it's not on the same level....

"What about when God ordered Joshua and his people to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan?13 What crime could be so great that entire populations of cities were designated for destruction? God told Moses that the nations that the Hebrew were replacing were wicked.14 How "wicked" were these people? The text tells us that they were burning their own sons and daughters in sacrifices to their gods.15 So we see that these people were not really innocent. For these reasons (and others16), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed."

Yeah.. sacrificing people is bad and today is punished by death. That's justice to many many people. But once again, the children with killed. Did ALL of the children sacrifice people? You mean ever last person, man woman and child did this? what about the disabled and very old? Nah, they were prolly sacrificed too.

"Surely God could have spared the children! People tend to assume that children are innocent, even if their parents are doing bad things. The assumption is unfounded. For example, Palestinian Muslim children are officially taught in grammar school to hate their Jewish neighbors.17 They are so well indoctrinated that some of them give up their lives in suicide bombings as children.18 Corruption literally does breed corruption, which is why God did not want the Hebrews tainted by the other corrupt cultures of the Middle East."

BS once again. In this example, the kids are only taught hate in these middle eastern schools. This is ignorance, not corruption. It's not the fault of the children.

"Surely there must have been other innocent adults in those cities who were destroyed with the wicked! There actually is an example of a time when God was asked if He would destroy the innocent along with the wicked. Prior to destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham asked God if He would destroy the righteous along with the wicked.19 God replied that He would spare the entire city for 50 righteous people.20 Abraham kept reducing the possible number of righteous people, asking God if He would destroy the entire city along with those number of righteous people.21 God's reply in each case was that He would not destroy the righteous along with the wicked. The lowest number Abraham asked about was ten righteous people, although the answer would likely be the same with as few as one righteous individual. How do we know this? God sent two angels to warn the four righteous people in Sodom to flee before He destroyed the city.22 It is quite convenient that such details are usually left out of atheistic sites complaining about the "evil" perpetrated by God. In fact, God saved certain people from being killed in cities such as Jericho.23"

50 turns into 4? Man! I hope i'm invited to that party!

"The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" is really not as general as the King James version would indicate. The commandment actually refers to premeditated, unjustified killing - murder. Although God ordered the extermination of entire cities, He did so in righteous judgment on a people whose corruption had led to extreme wickedness, including child sacrifice. Did God destroy the righteous along with the wicked? In an exchange with Abraham, God indicated that He would spare the wicked to save the righteous. He demonstrated this principle by saving righteous people from Sodom and Jericho prior to their destruction. The charge that God indiscriminately murdered people does not hold to to critical evaluation of the biblical texts."

This is all dandy. however I never said indiscriminately.

"If you were to read atheist's websites, you will often find complaints that the God of the Bible arbitrarily ordered the destruction of entire cities, such as Jericho, just to allow the Jews to have a homeland in the Middle East. How could a loving God command the destruction of all those innocent people? The argument sounds good, but it is utterly false. The unstated assumption is that the people who God ordered destroyed were morally equivalent to the Jews, who replaced them. However, this is what the Bible says about the people who were destroyed:

"It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the LORD your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. (Deuteronomy 9:5)

Okay, how "wicked" could those people have been? How about killing their own sons and daughters by burning them in sacrifices to their gods:

"You shall not behave thus toward the LORD your God, for every abominable act which the LORD hates they have done for their gods; for they even burn their sons and daughters in the fire to their gods. (Deuteronomy 12:31)"

ALL of those people did this? I find it SO hard to believe! Children......

"The wickedness of these people is confirmed in other verses of the Bible.3 So we see that these people are not quite as innocent as the atheists would like you to believe. Then again, maybe those atheists believe that killing your children is not all bad. After all, killing viable pre-born babies is legal in this country (it's called a choice, a.k.a. medical procedure). For these reasons (and others4), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed."

I support womens rights and i'm d amn proud of it! you support medical procedure, apparently you deserve to die. Thanks, god.

"In order to maintain His righteousness, God must judge sin - everything that goes against His character. If God let everyone into heaven, then He would have to allow in people such as Stalin and Hitler. Obviously, heaven would not be a good place to be with the likes of those people there. Therefore, God's righteousness requires the judgment of all sin. Only those people who agree with God and are willing to allow themselves to be changed into sinless beings can enter into heaven. For information on how to do this, click here."

He would keep stalin and hitler out. That's good. He'd also keep Ghandi and Thomas Jefferson out. tom cruse, too! Then again... I'm not sure heaven would be heaven with tom cruse.. just kidding guys!

Another thing, when someone hates someone else, things are made up. things are blown out of context. Ask a radical muslim and he'll tell you a jew was born of an animal or something stupid like that and has horns. Doesn't mean it's true.

Back