What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop Breeding

• Thread starter lithopsboy
  • Start date
here in md some bodys goin to make a 18 acre development and have 4 houses to an acer thats crazy were making a petition and the guys whose doin it isnt even goin to make a school or add on to the one to we have becuse there goin to go to the school in school im in and its over crowded as it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arg i dont know why the people just wont stop breeding for a while!!??

Because sex is fun !
biggrin.gif
lol , j/k yah it quite sad that we have to clear out land to make more room for the human population . we have to take over lands that belonged to animals and plants before to build houses , stores and etc and there ntohing we can do . thats one sad fact but true .

A major problem in the US is each person taking up more and more space.  I live in CT, a state having no population growth but with subdivisions and shopping centers rapidly consuming land where farms and woods had been.

I'm 3 miles beyond downtown Hartford, in a turn of the (20th) century neighborhood of 50x100 ft lots  That's about eight homes per acre.  And many are multi-family homes, so the neighborhood probably averages 12 or more households per acre.

City lots are commonly 25 ft wide and you can pack a lot of those into a small area.  It doesn't leave much room for lawns, but most people just cover lawns with fertilizer and then complain about having to mow the grass.

Not only do people take up less space with small lots, but they also create a dense enough residential area to support public transit plus neighborhood groceries & stores & bars & parks & schools & other good things.  

North and west of us (slightly higher and upwind of the factories) are neighborhoods built for the managers and higher paid people of the offices and factories where people in my neighborhood worked.  Those neighborhoods are mostly 1/4 acre lots, which were pretty luxurious in 1900.

Nowadays, status seeking people aren't generally content with something as small as a 1/4 acre.  Even though they'll spend more time bitching about lawn care than doing anything worthwhile with all their land.  And, with no prospect of them walking to the bus stop or a playground or a store, lots of extra land is wasted for roads and parking spaces to handle all their driving.

A lot of nature would be preserved if Americans didn't waste so much of it.
unclesam.gif

ghostface.gif

rock.gif

I have to agree with goldtrap about the land belonging to the animals and the plants. It's to bad the stupid money-eyed politics don't really care about nature but how to get more money and they will only realize that they made a mistake when all the beautiful landscapes animals die and we start suffocating of the lack of oxygen. In a way wish humans weren't on this planet because it would look so much better without us on it. Sad but true.

Any of you guys old enough to vote yet?  If so, do so.  If not, remember this for when you are old enough.  As you have already figured out, this cannot continue.  Not only do we have to cut down on our own population rate, but we have to be more mindful in how we take care of what little of the earth we have left.  I think the 4 of you who have posted here so far would be prime candidates for a career in the field of conservation. Don't you think?
rock.gif

I just came across this site, remarkably enough, in the same day as my last post.  Are any of you familiar with it?  Very interesting.  Here is a step in the right direction.  
smile.gif

http//www.earthisland.org

Well, more people go on the Akins diet - good bye forest and Hello cows! Also G. Bush is reducing the size of tree cuttings so there is more clear cluttings for logging. Also thanks to people not wanting to live in Big Cities, they want to live in the woods with nature. Awww how nice...Come human, come house, come cars, come store, come Taco Bell, Come city...Urban Sprawl at its best! Unfortunate it is almost everyones dream to have a family and a kid or so. Even me..
smile.gif

Travis

whats even worse is buisness such as starbucks , walmart , mc donalds and such are making buisness across buisnesses . for example , in some places theres a starbucks on one street and directly across the street theres another starbucks . thats is so dumb , and thats the end of the world if it keeps going on like this .

i think that there are two many banks in my area. In the last year land fields were cleared to build 5 banks that you can almost walk to and from each one .
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

The StarBucks invasion has begun
smile_t_32.gif

As O'Reily would say, "The most ridiculous item of the day"...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]G. Bush is reducing the size of tree cuttings  so there is more clear cluttings for logging.
mad.gif

Why don't we blame him for Teddy Kennedy not being able to navigate that bridge.
I do agree that the end will be caused by just too many people on this earth...maybe we can blame that on Bush.
Mumble...mumble...grumble...

This is actually quite a humerous thread. Why don't people stop breeding? Shrug, ask your mother and father that, I mean, you sure wern't an immaculate conception. So you my friend are part of the "problem" as you see it. Secondly, since when is a developer responsible for "adding" or improving a school system. That is the state and counties job. What the develeper IS doing is creating new homes in the county, which people will BUY (follow me on this one) in which people will pay TAXES on, which could ultimatly go to improving the school or whatever your local politics deem fit. It also draws more sales into the local region (gas, grocerys etc..) which also fuels the local economy.

Come on people, this is a double-edged sword here. Sure, we like to moan about certain polocies that our govn't makes. Tree huggers went balistic when Bush talked about opening up the Alaskan Oil reserves. Now, EVERYONE is going balistic about the gas prices. Sure, lets blame it on the price fixation of Opec, but that has nothing to do with it. We have legislated ourselves to death in this country and it is starting to catch up with us.
Look at Cali's energy crisis. It is 100% there own fault. They forced new environmental standards on energy producers to the point that it was easier to shut the plant down than to make the appropriate changes. Now they are buying energy from 3 states away, and part of there energy comes from Hydro-electricity (which is producing about 30% less electricity this year because of climate issues)

Sure, the overboard legislation that expects big business to make extreme changes within a year look good on paper, but the same exact people that "petitioned" for it are the ones crying about the brown-outs.

Sorry, Casper. I fail to see the energy problem in California as our own fault. Especially since the Enron tapes have been made public. For whatever reason, they singled us out for the price gouge of the century. And what did any government do to help us out over here. If they did it to Louisiana, I wouldn't blame it on Louisiana. I'd blame it on people so greedy, that the dollar is the only true God they know. We have been asked to be stewards of the land, and it is being destroyed beneath our feet by those we ask to protect it and us. If it were up to me, I'd out the Republican's and the Democrats and add several more parties so no one party held all the power, EVER!! The present system is falling apart, and we need to make every effort to change the crap the present powers have gotten us into.

You see Bugweed, there is a fundemental flaw in your statement, but first let me address the energy issue.

It will never happen in Louisiana because we produce our own energy via a nuclear power plant. Something that was proposed in Cali, but shot down because "no one wants to live within 250 miles of a nuclear power plant"

Did Enron rape you guys? Sure they did, but the people of Cali put themselves in the position to be raped.

Now, lets get to the real flaw about our "stewardship of the land". Now, I can agree with you to a point, but everything we have become as a people, yourself included, goes completly against that. Everything YOU depend on, destroys our planet. From the power you use to run the lights in your house, including your grow lights, to the water purification plants that clean your water, to the fumes put out by the vehicle that YOU drive.
You moan about trafic the same as I do. So we expect "bigger" highways so that we don't have to sit in traffic. You drive a vehicle to get places, which polutes the air, and god only knows what the polluted air does to the plantlife in the world.

So heres a great idea. Lets spend 2 days making legislature that gives people who drive electric cars a tax break! Great idea, yeah right. 70% of this countries power comes from coal burning power plants which produce 3-4 times the pollutants (per wat of energy produced wich translates over to h/p with some funky equation) as does a 4 cyl. gas engine.

Now, Nuclear power, our safest and by far our cleanest (Read: no airborne pollutants) everyone is scared of. Sure, you have the waist, but it is contained in a single area. Might sound bad, but I would much rather turn one very small and already un-inhabitle area of the globe to crap than the whole darn thing. But alas, we have the "Not in my backyard" mentality.

Hear, hear, hear.  Good clear thinking.  Casper for president...Lauderdale for Seargent at ARMS.
I think a nuclear power plant would go well in downtown L.A. or San Francisco.  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I guess the people near Chernobyl didn't have that not in my back yard mentality. I would hardly call nuclear power our safest energy source, however, I think solar power should be expanded and as the technology improves it should become more inexpensive.

To blame a person for this tragedy called mankind is useless. This has been a problem since the earliest days of Europe and so-forth. The idea that the earth is eternally renewable is still present all the while people are upset that the earth is beginning to fail. For Gods sake some areas have toxic rainfall after all. We sit here and complain about energy waste on a COMPUTER!! I included. We are not capable of natural living any longer and are addicted to comforts we consider necessities because we have never know there to be any other way of life.
Speaking of breeding control, the majority oppose abortion and the idea of controlled family planning is associated with China a communist nation. I don't think many folks would vote for an idea associated with communism, do you? Let's be honest, is anybody REALLY gonna stop having sex when they are at their child limit? Not I, I doubt you either. What are the other options besides abstinence and abortion?

I DO NOT MEAN TO START AN ABORTION DEBATE!!!!

Joe

The funniest thing about this thread is the assumption that over-population is directly related to breeding. Consider this, avg. family size has decreased rapidly in the last 100 years. Heck, its been cut in half just in the last generation. The biggest reason for increased population is quite simple, modern medicine. People are living longer, much longer than we used to. I don't know specific numbers, but I would wager real money that over the last 150 years the avg life expectancy of humans has doubled.

With that in mind, would you like to rephrase your gripe to "STOP THAT SILLY MEDICAL RESEARCH"?

Prone to trouble, Casper?? I still think you are wrong in your opinions, but I won't argue with them either. They deserve further study so I will. As much as I dislike California, I have some of the best outdoor growing weather anywhere. (So far.)

i think Chernobyl is a bad example. its the exception rather than the rule with nuclear power plants. i know alot of bad stuff has been said about France over the last couple of years but i seem to remember some fact about a LARGE portion of their power coming from nuclear power but when was the last time you heard about a meltdown outside Paris? i believe this is due to the fact they built all their power plants basically the same so when a problem arrises at one plant they can fix it in others before it even becomes a problem there. personally i see nuclear power as the BEST solution and i would not argue about one being built down the road from mean. it would also mean jobs which this portion of the state despratly needs. just my 2 cents.

Rattler

Back