What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stones to mix with peat.

Hi, I can't find any perlite, or sand the right size in my area, so I took some small driveway stones and put them into a bucket. Would these be suitable to mix with peat and use for my carnivorous plants, or would it hurt them?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I would not put those in with any plants. They could be chemically reactive, and change the PH or add ppm to the soil solution. They also are most likely not porous like perlite, and so will not aerate the soil.

It doesn't say anything about added fertilizer that I saw, so as long as that is correct, it should be fine. What kind of plants are you growing? Tray method? Indoor or out?

Sarracenia Flava and Drosera Intermedia, they're already grown, but I ordered them and they just arrived, I plan on growing them outdoors. I'm going to sack every store in my county tomorrow looking for perlite or quartz/sharp silica sand.

Try Home Depot or Lowe's or a pool supply store for pool filter sand. Not the el cheapo stuff 'play sand' or whatever.

I agree. Pool sand works rather well. If all else fails, you can probably grow those for a year in pure peat.

Sarracenia Flava and Drosera Intermedia, they're already grown, but I ordered them and they just arrived, I plan on growing them outdoors. I'm going to sack every store in my county tomorrow looking for perlite or quartz/sharp silica sand.

If you can't find any unfertilized stuff locally. Amazon sells perlite for a decent price. That's where I get mine.

Back