What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spontaneous leaf pullings

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
As growers like Kim Magnuson and John Hummer say it's the plants that do the work for you.

You have to love it though when the plants do make the job easier for you. Like only having to water them once or twice in the winter. Or do nothing at all to propagate them.

Some of the Mexican Pinguicula will literally fall apart at the seams in the fall/winter succulent leaf phase. P. jaumavensis is one of them. Without laying a finger on it one or two of the plants popped out pullings for me:
IMGP3051.jpg

IMGP3057.jpg

Something for the NASC auction :)

Yeah. My esserianas & cyclosectas just did the same thing. now I've got about 30+ leaf-pullings sprouting.

Are you growing in APS?

I obviously need to adjust my Pinguicula growing conditions since mine don't do stuff like this.

Very nice!

I have always been annoyed by the fragility of pings, they just fall apart in my hands.

Yes, straight APS. 10% or greater peat moss might help depending on how dry your conditions are and/or watering strategy.

They are more apt to fall apart in the succulent phase. I wonder if they are evolving a gemmae reproductive strategy.

very nice plants

They're as bad as, "Mother of Millions"!

Back