What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some visions of a warm Kentucky winter...

In homage to peatmoss' thread.... and a cheesey excuse to post a couple pics I took yesterday.
It was a beautiful day and unusually warm.... as it has been for most of the winter :hail:

cabin_hf.jpg

ducks_hf.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Av

Beautiful pics. We are having an incredible winter this year.

So purdy!

Love the look of the photos, what lens are you using? Can't believe you have running water in your rivers!

Thanks for the kind words,

Peat, the mill pic was taken with a 13mm Vivitar (14mm made by Samyang). The ducks was taken with an old 70-210mm Vivitar "Cult lens" from the 1970's (41USD on ebay :) )

Loving the wide angle :)

Been a very, very mild winter..... we are going to have bugs out the ying yang this summer LOL

Av

Are you in eastern or western KY?

Nice. I hope this warm winter isnt a sign of a hot summer but i'm thinking thats exactly what we're going to get.

Have you ever been to cumberland falls?

looks like the female duck had a rough winter,great pics

Yeah, the look of that second photo is awesome. Very vintage.

...Have you ever been to cumberland falls?

Oh yes, usually about once a year for one reason or another.....

Peat, have a squizz at this..... http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

Crissy and Warren are excellent resources on "Cult lenses".... Crissy is the one who found this one for me and got me interested in them.

There is some excellent glass out there at killer prices if you dont mind manual control.

I got this one for 41 USD and its in perfect condition.
(It did require a 12usd adapter)

LOL, I think the female duck had a rough night...

Av

Wow, they look really cool. Might have to get one of those someday.

Thanks!

Been a very, very mild winter..... we are going to have bugs out the ying yang this summer LOL

Same here, and I'm not looking forward to the bugs and ticks..... Thankfully I won't be doing nearly as much field work this summer.

i feel that. here in louisville we are expecting warm weather all this week! any of your plants waking up yet?

That first pic looks exactly like a scene my grandmother did with oil paints. Very nice..

Looking good Av! Looks like spring has made it to western NC as well. I took these today with some old glass. These are all unedited except for cropping and resizing.

The "legendary" Helios 44-2 58mm f2 (yes this little beauty is from Russia, built after the Carl Zeiss Biotar).
Two different Crocus flowers:

crocus.jpg

crocus2.jpg

Taken with a Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (it's slightly radioactive, made in the 1960's):

mossylog.jpg

Last but not least a photo taken with my Vivitar 28mm f2.8 Wide Angle Close Focus (this one seems to be a best kept secret). It does well with regular non-marco shots too. Sadly I didn't get anything but macro with it today.

This isn't the most flattering picture taken with it, but I thought it was nice.
nep.jpg

These lenses can all be found extremely cheap (well cheap compared to their modern day equivalents) . The most expensive is the Super Tak at $71 shipped. The non f1.4 versions can be had for around $30 or so, maybe even less. The Helios was around $35 shipped, the Vivitar close focus lens was $42 shipped. All of these have been easily adapted (adapters are cheap even with the auto focus confirm chip) to work with my Canon DSLR camera.

Alright guys, I'll stop boring you with my old manual focus lenses :). Hopefully I didn't hijack your thread too much Av :-)).

Crystal

ohhhhhhh sweet!
colors on the crocus are stunning...
and love that f1.4.....

glider.... ive got some sarrs waking up, wee bit too early too
mass.... thanks mate, i wish it hadnt been such a sunny day.... sorta bleaches the color out

you can hijack all you want Crissy :)

hmmmm bet that log would be good for some U. campby

Last edited:
Back