What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So perplexing, 2 Droseras next to each other one full of dew the other isn't and droopy

• Thread starter power270lb
  • Start date
So strange both under spider farmer SF-1000s and ordered from two different places. The one in the back came from blue ridge exotics and came with every shoot black, looked like a goner and then she came back. Full of dew, the shoots are smaller than other droseras Ive had. The other came from predatory plants and was thriving until a week or so ago. As you can see, very droopy and not a lot of dew.

Tbh not familiar with long fibered sphagnum moss as a medium but my seed grown binatas are in them now and are thriving. Every drosera I've had I feed using beta fish pellets crushed into powder. I probably overfeed tbh but I've always gotten great results and tons of seed pods/flowers. Any suggestions lol it's so perplexing.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_234321541.jpg
    PXL_20220714_234321541.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I find capensis generally preforms a bit worse in spagh compared to peat.

That seems a bit mysterious. Have you transplanted the poorer performing plant recently? I agree with Grey Moss on preferred soil media. Some sundews do much better in lfs, but not all.

So strange both under spider farmer SF-1000s and ordered from two different places. The one in the back came from blue ridge exotics and came with every shoot black, looked like a goner and then she came back. Full of dew, the shoots are smaller than other droseras Ive had. The other came from predatory plants and was thriving until a week or so ago. As you can see, very droopy and not a lot of dew.

Tbh not familiar with long fibered sphagnum moss as a medium but my seed grown binatas are in them now and are thriving. Every drosera I've had I feed using beta fish pellets crushed into powder. I probably overfeed tbh but I've always gotten great results and tons of seed pods/flowers. Any suggestions lol it's so perplexing.
Probably just differences in individual plant (roots health/status, etc). I have 2 capensis on same pot, substrate is sphagnum moss, high water tray (plastic cup) as capensis love wet soils. Yet one of them thriving, and one dead.
IMG_20220716_061100.jpg

Probably just differences in individual plant (roots health/status, etc). I have 2 capensis on same pot, substrate is sphagnum moss, high water tray (plastic cup) as capensis love wet soils. Yet one of them thriving, and one dead.
View attachment 10299
Now both Are beginning to drop. Can overfeeding stress them?

That seems a bit mysterious. Have you transplanted the poorer performing plant recently? I agree with Grey Moss on preferred soil media. Some sundews do much better in lfs, but not all.
Now they're both struggling. One struggling now came bare root (partially in sphagnum) and I wrapped rest to fill the pot. Can over feeding cause stress?
That seems a bit mysterious. Have you transplanted the poorer performing plant recently? I agree with Grey Moss on preferred soil media. Some sundews do much better in lfs, but not al

Now both Are beginning to drop. Can overfeeding stress them?
It could be. Especially if the plant are unhealthy to begin with. After drosera catch insect with their mucilage (sticky hidrogel), they'll releases digestive juices through the glands at the tip of its tentacles. These juices are expensive, they're using stored energy/nutrient to produce its. Well established plant with adequate lights has more stored energy & could handle/proces more prey than a new plant at acclimatisation phase. Also depend on what kinds of prey/feed.

Back