What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So overwhelmed by lighting options

• Thread starter twigs
  • Start date
I haven't grown CPs for 6+ years and I would like to get back into the hobby. I used to have a rack of 4' T8 shop lights that I used for intermediate neps and cephalotus and that worked really well. I've been trying to figure out what lighting setup to go with and I am completely overwhelmed.

What I do know that I really would like to avoid the blue/red LEDs that seem to be so popular. I just really hate the look and couldn't stand that being the only lighting - I guess I could put some white lights for when I am looking at the plants but that seems really redundant. I'm not afraid to spend a little money but would like to keep this initial purchase small (less than $100 unless there's a really good reason to get something more expensive) so I can ease back into it. However, I don't really want to buy something that won't be useful in the future.

I'm going to start with Cephalotus and maybe a few easier neps (I do love glabrata) so I'm looking for something that can cover a 2x2' area. Eventually I would LOVE to get into highland neps (aristolochioides is my absolute favorite) but I know that I'm not ready for the setup required to give those temps.

I would appreciate any recommendations I can get, especially specific light fixtures and/or bulbs.

How about HLG 65? Should have plenty of light to cover a 2x2' area and right about $100. It shouldn't emit much heat and would be great for highlanders.

Last edited:
How about HLG 65? Should have plenty of light to cover a 2x2' area and right about $100. It shouldn't emit much heat and would be great for highlanders.

Thanks for the suggestion, this looks perfect for what I'm trying to do.

Back