What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I just bought some fish emulsion...

Hey everyone,

So I just bought some fish emulsion and am planning on putting my diluted solution right into the pitchers. However, there are three different dilution rates for different kinds of plants, and I'm not sure what kind would be best for Nepenthes. The rates are as follows:

Flowers and Roses - 2 tablespoons per gallon

Trees and Shrubs - 4 tablespoons per gallon

House Plants - 2 teaspoons per gallon

The brand that I got is called Gardener's Choice, and the supposed NPK rate is 4-1-1. However, this confuses me because only one of the three dilution rates can be 4-1-1. Obviously if you mix more or less per gallon you are going to have a higher or lower rate than 4-1-1....wish I knew how concentrated the solution in the bottle actually is so I could make whatever rate I wanted!! So ya anyways, if anyone has ever used this brand before, or something similar, what dilution rate do you use? Thanks for any replies!!

Zach

I can only recommend ONE teaspoons per gallon (half strength) if it is to be used directly onto the roots, however, if foliar feeding and/or pouring it directly into the pitchers, I can recommend full strength of two teaspoons per gallon. Remember to rinse well with distilled or RO water the very next time. - Rich

Ugh that stuff smells like doodoo. Start with 2 and see what happens....work your way up.
4-1-1 is a ratio, not a concentration. If you pour it out of the bottle, it'll be 4-1-1. If you dump it 400 gallons, the nutrients will still be 4-1-1.

Wow PK...I feel stupid now! Haha I always figured since it gave the NPK in a percent on the back it was a concentration...but now that I look at it more closely it is a percent, but above it it says "By weight" so that makes more sense now. Anyways ya...it does smell bad, but the first batch I did was one teaspoon per gallon, and honestly I can put my nose right up to my pitchers and I can't smell a thing. Unfortunately, the more I add per gallon the smellier it will get, and I think I'm going to try 2 teaspoons per gallon next time. Thanks for the replies guys!!

Zach

Last edited by a moderator:
I use fish emulsion on Nep roots (although not that brand) at half strength, like rsivertsen says. However, I don't rinse after applying it because it doesn't contain salt-based fertilizer, which will draw water our of the plant. My thinking is that the longer is stays in contact with the roots the better.

Back