What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snow-covered VFT

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Some mixed-seed VFT babies spending winter outside due to space issues in the garage. They seem to be doing well in the cold temps with overnight temps in the 20’s at times. Temps always warm up above freezing during the day though. The second pic is of the tray after the snow melted off the next day.

This flat is not in a water tray because of the monsoon rains we recently had and not wanting the plants “floating” in high water for that many days.

23950443991_84b889b01b_z.jpg
[/url]VFT babies under snow by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

After snow melt
24032986285_8a4f4551dd_z.jpg
[/url]VFT babies after snow melt next day by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

I do not grow my VFTS outdoors yet- will next year. I have however heard after a good freezing winter they will form MONSTER traps. Do you know anything about this?

I have not heard that, but wish it were true with mine!

The biggest traps I have ever gotten were just short of 1-1/2 inches at most (and not consistently), and those were on two so-called “giant” varieties that supposedly can get traps over 1-1/2 inches for others. These are grown outside year-round and exposed to freezing every winter. I always suspected it was because of my conditions that they did not form the advertized “giant/monster” traps. My thought is that these varieties need near perfect conditions in soil, moisture, light, temperature/humidity, and food to get the "giant/monster" traps advertized. Mine get plenty of food and full sun outside, but less than perfect soil, moisture, and temperature/humidity conditions.

Yep. I got a plain typical VFT from someone on a different forum who lives in Ohio ( I am in Michigan). When I got it the "bulb" was GINORMOUS. It did not have any traps and is dormant now. We'll see what it yields.

Nick

Back