What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake id

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pond

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
First I don't have a pic, so You'll have to go with my description.

I was walking around a pond, looking for reptiles and cp's. I found some nice D.intermedia and a glass lizard. Anyway I was walking about 4 ft from the water edge because of some heavy vegetation at the waters edge. I saw the tail of a very stocky snake. It quickly disappeared into the bushes beside the water. It was a smokey black color with some yellow dots. Now if it wasn't for the yellow dots I would have little doubt that it was a cottonmouth.

I poked around in the bushes looking for it but there was no sign of it.

Any guesses?

Yellow spotted Cottonmouth.

Hee hee!

yeah I thought the same thing, but I don't think they are native to this area.
Maybe Alphawolf will respond. He should know if the yellow spotted cottonmouth is native to NC.

Or anywhere else on this planet. LOL!

not sure Ozzy, ill flip through some of my snake books at home........

Yellow-bellied sap sucker?? Oh...that's a bird. Sorry.
smile_n_32.gif

Dotcom snake? Yellowpolkadotbikini snake?

Maybe it was a pigment of your imagination.

Speckled kingsnake?

When I was a kid in Mississippi, we dropped into a log fort some other kids had made in the nearby woods.  Something moved and we saw a dark snake with lots of yellow spots.  I can calmly estimate it's length at about 43 ft and it was as thick as a telephone pole.  A slithery, malevolent telephone pole.  We organized an exit plan and methodically climbed back out.  Not even remotely hollering or trampling or knocking each other out of the way.  That's what panic-stricken boys would do.  I later learned it was probably a Speckled Kingsnake.

That's too far north for a speckled kingsnake isn't it? I know the Outer Banks Kingsnake, and the Common Kingsnake live there, but I don't think the speckled would be found there.

It wasn't a kingsnake. It was way too thick for that. I am almost sure that since it was near water, and it looked like a cottonmouth, it has to be a cotton mouth. I have looked and can't find any snake that fits the description of what I saw, with the yellow spots.
Here's what I have come up with. It had just started raining when I spotted it, and it was right beside a pond. So I'd say it was a safe bet that it was wet. As the snake crawled through the weeds, little yellow flowers stuck to it.

Or maybe it had some screwed up genes and it's a mutation.

Either that or it was a yellow spotted cottonmouth.

That's too far north for a Yellow Spotted Cottonmouth isn't it? It's probably a Speckled Cottonmouth.

I see. A fish story. Now I know why I don't like you, Ozzy. Or your snakes, or your dog, or your job, or your car, or where you live----(wait! scratch that last one), or any birds you own, or your turtles----heck! Just think of anything, and I won't like it! Stories. Always with the stories. I'm watchin' you son! better be good! (How was that Oz? I missed my medication again!)

Amdrew I thought you said you were on your way to give bug his injection. Please hurry, before we have to get the straight jacket out again.

Got my meds Ozzy! I love the world again. Jest not U!!!

Andrew give him another dose. He'll love even me then.

the alphawolf wont respond. he has left. All i can get outof himis that somehow he messed up his password so he couldnt get in- n purpouse.

Actually, he slef-destructed almost every password existing where he a a membership, including his msn account. But i'll ask him and se if he knows.

After reading through my Audobon guide I was thinking Northern water snake or perhaps Banded water snake as well. They look very similar, the only real difference is some markings on the head. Harmless snakes though a might bit cantancerous. Interesting factoid, if they do bite you be prepared for lots and lots of bleeding because their saliva contains an anti-coagulent.

Probably you had just chewed on some jimson root and were hallucinating the whole time.  Didn't you recently have some auditory hallucination where you heard some growling?  Probably was one and the same...an spotted and speckled cottonmouth kingsnake with a hoarse voice (from acid reflux).

Stop chewing on that jimson weed and I think you will find all these sounds and wild critters will go away....  
confused.gif

I photographed a Northern water snake recently...but I didn't see its belly. Just the top. Didn't notice any yellow dots.... I did read about the anti-coagulent though. Made me glad I was high above it.

Wow man! Good meds! Luv u oz!

Hey Bug, pass me some of thoses, I want to see more cool poka dotted snakes.

Back