What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snail in my opened-jar terrarium

Is there any terrarium master around here that could give a newbie some advice.
I recently started creating some opened and sealed terrariums. In one of my opened terrarium, which was made two weeks ago, I spotted an uninvited guest, a tiny green snail. There are some picture i took of my terrarium and the snail in question.
Picture: Jared Terrarium and Snail
Anyhow, I need to know, should I remove the snail or leave it be ?; Is it harmful for my terrarium? Please let me know since the little devil look so small and cute.
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Snails eat plants (and can be quite destructive in doing so); ergo, I would remove it asap. When I find snails in my greenhouse they get fed to the Nepenthes.

It is rather beautiful, what part of the world are you in? Maybe keep it in another setup just for snails?

I am in Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh city to be precise

I knew those green snails weren't in the USA. Luck you! They are beautiful!
So what did you decide to do?

Snails eat plants (and can be quite destructive in doing so); ...

Not all do. Some are predatory and feed mainly on other snails. Would have to get the green snail ID'ed to know for sure what it feeds upon.

Last edited:
And don't some feed only on detritus?

Base on the majority of advice i recieved, I remove the snail and two other smaller one.

And don't some feed only on detritus?

Some do, but from what little I've read, may only be a few of the aquatic species.

Back