What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small windowsill greenhouse

Mato has one. Maybe he could help with this.

IMHO... for what it's worth...
the smaller the container the harder it will be to control the swings in environmental conditions... like temperatures, humidity etc.
Also, unless you only plan to have a few small plants,
your plants will quickly outgrow (in size & number) this container. (It was small to begin with!)

Containers like these are great looking & give the feel of having an actual mini-greenhouse!
However they also carry along the negatives of owning a greenhouse, and you will very quickly feel the effects of small greenhouse ownership!

Over the years I have had a few of these sort of "terrariums" & they are great for very small plants (ie. small at maturity), especially under artificial lighting.
(Although this one seems to have no flat/level top upon which to rest a fluorescent light, however it could be done.)
(There are some terrific set-ups here by people who grow a variety of mosses & other woodland plants, along with a variety of frogs & such, so some things can be done quite well with containers of this size.)
However for growing larger plants (like Neps) you will find they tend to outgrow it rather quickly. And if you plan on putting it in a sunny window for lighting, you will soon discover that you have actually created a mini solar oven, in which you have cooked your plants!

(Now for the positive!) It looks nice, and only costs $20*!

*$20 not including the cost of baked plants.

Good luck with your decision.
:water:

It looks good, but only for small lowland or highland Nepenthes, depending on the windsill conditions you have. You could place it outside, but that may be dangerous even to lowlanders. If you have a window that reieves good amounts of directlight, then I would recommend small growing Nep lowlanders. If you have a grow light set, then growing highlanders in there could possibly work as well. It all depends on the conditions the mini greenhouse will be in, and what sort of CP's you like that you want to place in there.

If this is something you'd like to pursue, I'd suggest going to Walmart or a pet store and just get a 10 gallon aquarium. Cost $10-$15 and it's bigger. Check out my thread about my 10 gallon terrarium I set up. Like the others have said though, your neps will outgrow it quick, so have a contingency plan handy.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130306

If this is something you'd like to pursue, I'd suggest going to Walmart or a pet store and just get a 10 gallon aquarium. Cost $10-$15 and it's bigger. Check out my thread about my 10 gallon terrarium I set up. Like the others have said though, your neps will outgrow it quick, so have a contingency plan handy.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130306

your right. i went to ikea today and gave it a good look-over. i decided to pass on this idea. just so happens that i have 2 empty 10g tanks in my garage. thanks for the info with details.

and thanks for all the replies

Back