What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

small sized highlands?

I currently grow orchids/cps in 2 grow chambers. I have slowly been getting more cool growing orchids, so now my cases never really get above 70-75(on a full sun day). I have a ultrasonic fogger piping in cool air. So I would like to get a highland nep.

What types are on the smaller size that I should check out?

I would look for more of the unique/grotesque types. The cases are 18"x18"x36"... so not the smallest ... and since I would be getting a small plant at first.. i would have plenty of time to plan a larger case...
smile.gif

hmmm N. hirsuta stays pretty compact so does N. lavicola, N. rhombicaulis, N. singalana, N. tentaculata, and N. Hamata(because of small leaves compared to large pitchers and also the high humidity). you never said how low night temps get?

N. gymnaphora is pretty small, too, so is N. argentii (though this one can be expensive....I beleive it is the smallest nep species of all).

Carunculata (not bongso) stays very small with nice wineglass uppers in the vining stage!

-D. Lybrand

how about that nep that im offering khasiana x tobaica in the trading forums. looks to be small and compact...
70679433O292959638.jpg

How about N. inermis? It's supposed to be fast growing, but very unique. N. eymae is another interesting one, and it's slower than inermis. I think hamata is a good idea too. Or perhaps lowii...? I don't really know what Neps are small; Neps aren't particularly small plants, so far as I know. Your cases sound big enough that I'd think you could keep a Nep of moderate size with regular pruning.
~Joe

Lowii gets very large with age, but would work for a couple of years since it is pretty slow. Glabrata is a nice, small plant but would need a couple more feet once it began to vine.

You can grow most highland Neps in those dimensions for a year or two. Most are slow growing. The smaller, faster species will be harder to keep because they vine easily.

For unique/grotesque, hamata is a good choice... if you can find it!

-D. Lybrand

Lowii gets very large with age, but would work for a couple of years since it is pretty slow. Glabrata is a nice, small plant but would need a couple more feet once it began to vine.

You can grow most highland Neps in those dimensions for a year or two. Most are slow growing. The smaller, faster species will be harder to keep because they vine easily.

For unique/grotesque, hamata is a good choice... if you can find it!

-D. Lybrand

Thanks for all the returns on this, I will have to check out my options. hamata is cool looking.

The temps get down to 60 give or take a couple degrees. I have a lowland hybrid in there now that was doing just fine untill I started lowering the temps... it doesn't pitcher at all anymore.. just grows a ton of leaves. I got it at a local meijers. It is about 12-13 tall now with 3 grows of less length... it is at a good size now... I pruned it down with it got to 16inchs or so.

Back