What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Size of VFT

• Thread starter Foofoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft
F

Foofoo

How big will my VFT get?

-----
This question is from my daughter who is 8 years old and just got her first VFT today!  And I didn't know the answer!  She has a common VFT and already has the "bug" for them.

Welcome FF and daughter! It depends a lot on growing conditions but it will most likely be around 6 inches across when mature, but the range can be from two to fourteen for various varieties.

Hi,
First of all, welcome to the forum! You will certainly get your questions answered here!

Your VFT traps will grow between 15mm to 35mm long depending on the clone you bought. Plants do vary from place to place. A single crown will have anywhere between 6 to 8 leaves in the main growing season and the whole plant can average 4 to 5" accross, but again even that can vary.

I think you may want to allow the VFT to get out of shock before feeding though... Maybe let your daughter plump the bug up, like the witch in the ginger bread house did...

my largest vft which is the biggest i have ever seen in person has leaves that are around 5 to 6 inches long and traps around one inch it has about seven traps with about six more growingthat are almost done but this plant is pretty old i believe

Back