What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should drosera pulchella sit indoors or outdoors?

They haven't arrived yet, but I've ordered my first pygmy sundews, drosera pulchella! Most places I have read say that they grow best in full sun outdoors, but the weather here can be unpredictable lately. We don't get a very cold winter and summer is scorching hot. It can even get into the 90s in winter sometimes, we used to have colder winters but this year we havent had much of winter at all :-( North Florida is supposed to be more temperate but it just hasn't been lately. We also sometimes have storms and high winds.

So, the question: I can put my new drosera either indoors, on my dresser, where they will receive bright natural light from my four large windows all day and temperatures usually between 68-78 degrees, or I can put them out on the front porch, where they will have even brighter light but will face very hot temperatures. The humidity is pretty high here both indoors and outdoors, so it should not be an issue either way. What do you all think is the better place for them?

I have drosera pulchella and I am growing it indoors under lights and let me say it multiplies like crazy !!! I will say indoors would be best just so u can keep an eye on it but I think on a windowsill will be perfect for it WIN_20170215_16_08_42_Pro.jpg

Thank you! I am glad to hear it multiplies well, it'll be so exciting to have a lot of them! Yours look very nice in that picture, as well!

yeah no problem !!! and thanks been having them for about two months I think .

I never had an issue with mine outdoors in 100+ temps.

I would keep it indoors, because some pygmy sundews are known to start hibernating when it gets into the 90s.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I would keep it indoors too, If it gets too hot outside for a long period they could go dormant, and you could lose some.

Sent from my SM-G935V

I want to point out, that I believe the issue with summer dormancy in pygmies is more an affect of dryness than temps. I've grown D. pulchella and D. scoprioides outdoors in 90-100 degree temps with no issue, I just always made sure they were always sitting in water (my scorpidioides are even in a black pot!).

Back