What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeds: Now coming with EULA's.

One of the local farmers in my area explained this to me a few years back. This is the first instance I have heard where a person has actually been charged with anything. Oddly enough, the farmer I spoke with made it seem like all farmers were aware of this regulation years ago but this seems like a fairly new case.

Not quite sure where I stand on the company's "technology agreement" though.
-J.P.

I've heard of this before too, you can buy those hybrid veggie seeds at the garden center but not "supposed" to replant them next year but buy new seeds. Not the way I'd do it if I had a garden because I'm too practical that way - I always reuse seeds from my lilies and daturas. Why ever buy seed when one pod contains hundreds? But I can totally see their point if no one buys new seeds how long will they stay in bussiness? After researching and developing their strains over the years in some cases spending millions of dollars. There's the Beta Seed Testing company in my aunts town where they do growing and hybridizing experiments, I'm sure there's lot of money exchanging hands at that facility/farm.

It's really all the same as not being permitted to asexually reproduce (make cuttings) of certain tropical plants because they're tags are marked PPAF (or something similar) but who will know if you made cuttings of your trademarked houseplant and gave it to your friend? If you threw the tag away without reading it you wouldn't even know you weren't allowed to do that. So far most of us don't have cameras hidden in our homes. Perhaps farmers on the other hand, must account for their source of seed and that's how he got "busted"? ???

I saw this on TV recently. Nature fouls up human control of pollen dispersal and a hapless farmer nearby is the recipeint of unintended cross-pollination..... and a lawsuit. That's just plain stupid and unfair!

You mean we as a society have come to this?

If your houseplant doubles in size do they come knocking at your door wanting more money? lmao. That's LAUGHABLE. Most people just throw away the tags anyway. Whatcha gonna do about it? Sue some old lady for giving her neighbor African violet cuttings? lmao

How many times in a day do I think that? That's why I avoid watching the news! No sense screaming at the TV they can't hear ya... ;)

How many times in a day do I think that? That's why I avoid watching the news! No sense screaming at the TV they can't hear ya...

Too many! ;)

This makes sense in black-and-white economy sense (which is ****ing retarted but...), but not in this little thing we call reality...

:censor:

thats gay, they put the work and effort into growing it... so they cant keep the Fing plant the seeds?

Thats really stupid. They're basically renting the strain out.

Stupid .. the only way to make this settled is to make they GMO plants sterilie then they can't sue...

the only way to make this settled is to make they GMO plants sterilie then they can't sue...<!-- / message -->

Don't think they aren't hard at work on it!

Back