What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed germination

Is anything special needed to get VFT seeds to germinate, or do i just sow them in a pot & put it outside with my other plants? Thanks!

Sowing them in a pot is fine. You don't need to do anything special. If you put the pot outside, you might want to protect it a bit from the elements. Hard rain or hail might bounce the seeds out of the pot.

I usually allow the seeds to germinate in a container where I can keep the humidity artificially high and then move the seeds to standard pots, but I don't think that this is necessary.

Well, I am currently trying to get a set of these to grow by just exactly that method - outside in a seed tray with a covering to protect from the elements but plenty of ventilation. A bit of covering so they get filtered light, but I don't know if that is even necessary.

I germinated some last year but managed to kill them while I was on vacation. I did those under CF lights and they sprang up in a few weeks. It seems like they are not too picky by that measure.

Back