What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seed advice

Hey All,

I'm seeking a seed that quickly germinates and as a plant, stays small (under 2" give or take).

Any advice?

-Phillip

A carnivorous plant? D. burmanii

AH! NO .. forgot to clarify...

it can be ANY plant of ANY sort.
smile.gif

2" being tall/diameter or both?

Yo Phil-dude!

Habitat requirements? Tropical/temperate? High/low humidity?

Merry Christma-Hannu-Kwanzaa-kah!

Mike

ha!

Hey Mike. I didn't think of asking you or Anita directly
smile.gif
<duh!>

2"ish tall... sorta ground cover-ish -- i'm really open to anything, doing an experiment
smile.gif

I remember being in atlanta at a trade show a couple of years ago -- and someone was marketing miniature "palm" trees (which were actually a type of grass as I recall, from the orient). It was something from a company called "cal palm" or something weird.

Anyway -- 2-3" tall... at full growth, easy to grow, I'm open to the types of conditions required for the plant. My biggest concern is the overall size just being dwarf/miniature in nature.

Any thoughts?

Say hi to anita and the kids!

You sure it wasn't Mondo Grass? If you separate it into individual 'bulbs,' I'll bet you get the effect you are looking for. AND it would do the ground cover thing as well!

Mike

Forgot to mention: There are dwarf varieties of Mondo Grass available out there...they should be close to what you are looking for.

How about some gammae? They germinate as fast as anything I can think of (though not technically seeds) and the plants do stay small.

Try chia seeds as in chia pet.

Hey all!

I've used mondo, works well... and I want to continue using it... but need some variety =\ ...

I've definitely thought about chia... so far it's the front runner.

The others, I'm going to investigate....

Any other suggestions.

-Phillip

I would suggest running cedar but its rather rare (and protected I think) and also not real "thick". But it has a tree-like look and stays small. Over Christmas I saw an ocean of it in the woods behind our house. (Sadly, that area is being marked for development...
smile_h_32.gif
) It just breaks my heart that all that running cedar will be destroyed.

Wonder if some varieties of bonsai could stay that small...

U know what's going to happen if you post this in a cp forum.
smile_m_32.gif

Back