What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching for Exotic/Colorful Garden Flowers

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
Hey guys, This year im planning on really overdoing my backyard with plants.
In particular, the most exotic and colorful flowers I can get my hands on.

So in other words, What are the most beautiful and showy flowers you know?
Looking for things that can either be brought inside over winter, or are supposed to die
in winter. This is scummy zone 5 here

Heres a list of what Im planning to have this year already. (Give or take)

gazaniakissflame.jpg
Gazania - "Golden Flame"

Gazania_rigens_var._rigens.jpg
Gazania - "Big Kiss"

BluePuya4910.jpg
Turquoise Puya

Amaranthus%20tricolor%20Perfecta.jpg
Amaranthus Splendens Perfecta
A. ganeticus

blue_lotus_yfah.jpg
Blue Lotus

Just to give an Idea, maybe some passifloras too, if I can figure out how to keep them overwinter.

That blue lotus is beautiful don't they grow in water just interested

Yes they are also known as blue water lilly.

Perennials are the ones that come back from one year to the next.

I did my front yard in blue/purple flowers only.

I do like Toad Lilies (Tricyrtis) and Columbines (Aquilegia)

More specifically the "lotus" is a tropical water lily. It would need to be brought in for the winter. There are hardy water lilies that can easily winter over in zone 5, but you won't find colors like that. Hardy lilies come in white, yellow, pink, and red along with shades in between and cultivars in which the flowers change color as they age. If you're doing a set up suitable for water lilies in zone 5, consider adding Water Hawthorn, Aponogeton distachyos. It grows and blooms before the lilies, goes dormant in the summer when the lilies hit their stride, and then has another blooming cycle in the fall

Last edited:
That blue lotus is beautiful don't they grow in water just interested
Yes they do. Ive been wanting to put together a small water garden for some time now,
however im very picky on plants.

More specifically the "lotus" is a tropical water lily. It would need to be brought in for the winter. There are hardy water lilies that can easily winter over in zone 5, but you won't find colors like that. Hardy lilies come in white, yellow, pink, and red along with shades in between and cultivars in which the flowers change color as they age. If you're doing a set up suitable for water lilies in zone 5, consider adding Water Hawthorn, Aponogeton distachyos. It grows and blooms before the lilies, goes dormant in the summer when the lilies hit their stride, and then has another blooming cycle in the fall
Thanks dude! Ill keep that in mind. And Yea, I was aware that they need to be frost protected. I have one small area I can keep the aquatics over winter if need be.
Along with the Nymphaea caerulea im HOPING to find some bicornis nuts, but every distributor I contact quickly falls off the map.

Peonies can be pretty showy and they go dormant in the winter. Only downside I've found is their blooms aren't as quite spectacular after a strong storm. They end up flopping over a bit. They also attract ants.

I really like the Turquoise Puya I think I may try and get some my self I have like 50 60 Lilly's to plant soon so why not add some more

Back