What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

School Shootings (warning: graphic content inside)

• Thread starter NeciFiX
  • Start date
Ideas:

1) Teach your children well (CSN)
2) Required reading for high schoolers:
"The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" (D. Millman)
"Ishmael" (D. Quinn)
3) Study history and learn that terrible tragedies such as this one have been happening for centuries.
4) Do at least one thing each day to help build community -- meet a neighbor, help a stranger, plant a tree, whatever.

ooh!!!

I loved reading Ishmael. At the end of the book I kinda felt scared because everything Ishmael said just made sense.

2) Required reading for high schoolers:
"The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" (D. Millman)
"Ishmael" (D. Quinn)

I love Ishmael. In fact, I love all of Daniel Quinn's books. They are very interesting and thought provoking. One of my favorite lines from "My Ishmael" goes something like: "We (humans) can't live like moths because we are too intelligent and we can't live like angels and gods because we aren't intelligent enough." Wonderful reading. Down with totalitarian agriculture!

xvart.

I love Ishmael. In fact, I love all of Daniel Quinn's books. They are very interesting and thought provoking. One of my favorite lines from "My Ishmael" goes something like: "We (humans) can't live like moths because we are too intelligent and we can't live like angels and gods because we aren't intelligent enough." Wonderful reading. Down with totalitarian agriculture!

xvart.

oh man. I havent read any D. Quinn books lately. Maybe I should start reading My Ishmael or Story of B.

Have you read The Holy?

oh man. I havent read any D. Quinn books lately. Maybe I should start reading My Ishmael or Story of B.

Have you read The Holy?

No, I have not read "The Holy." I have it on my library list of books to be held for me, though. "Story of B" is a great book because while it still follows the ideas in "Ishmael" it takes a whole different approach to the subject matter whereas "My Ishmael" is pretty much "Ishmael" all over again, but expanded upon in greater detail.

xvart.

I feel rather insulted from some of the comments here.

I posted this exact post on multiple places and nobody that posted seemed to have any disgusted reaction. I agree maybe all of the deaths shouldn't have been listed (so I condensed the entire hour long of research I did into the Wikipedia main page), but, I didn't think it would prove to be mentally disgusting, or mentally/emotionally disturbing to great limits as it seems to have been portrayed.

It's a tricky one - is it appropriate to post a thread listing macabre details of how people were killed in shooting incidents? Whether or not is subjective, but if you start such a controversial thread you've got to expect some controversial replies ???

i dont think any of us were trying to insult you. we were just saying that maybe you shouldnt have created a list of what happened in the past and what specifically happened during that time.

if i were to create a list of how the victims of WW1, WW11, and 911 suffered, im sure a lot of members would probably respond and ask me what the heck's the matter with me.

These people are not forgotten but it also hurts to think about the past and thats why sometimes it easier to move on and try not to think of what occured in the past.

I posted this exact post on multiple places and nobody that posted seemed to have any disgusted reaction.

Everyone reacts differently to situations. Bear in mind this is a "family" site so we have to be careful to SOME degree about what is posted here. We've had members as young as 10. This is why we have some of the rules we do. We don't allow vulgar language, racist comments, gruesome photographs, etc. We may get some lively and occasionally heated debates but we try not to have anything offensive posted.

In my opinion, I didn't see where that graphic listing of injuries added anything of value to your post. You could have made your point without it.

I feel rather insulted from some of the comments here.

You posted something that some people found offensive. People said that they found it offensive. Rather than acknowledge that these poeple did not like what was posted you 1) justified your actions and 2) antagonized those who were offended. You should not be suprised that some people might not take kindly to such antagonism. I imagine they might feel a little insulted by that.

I posted this exact post on multiple places and nobody that posted seemed to have any disgusted reaction.

But we are not talking about other people on other forums. We are talking about people here on this forum. People who are offended.

I agree maybe all of the deaths shouldn't have been listed (so I condensed the entire hour long of research I did into the Wikipedia main page),

I appreciate that you removed the list of deaths (believe it or not). However, I also feel that by pointing out how long it took you to do the research you are still justifying your original actions.

but, I didn't think it would prove to be mentally disgusting, or mentally/emotionally disturbing to great limits as it seems to have been portrayed.

Not sure "portrayed" is the right word here. No one is representing it or depicting it as offensive. Feelings are nor portrayals. Feelings are feelings. I was not portraying what you posted as offensive, I said flat out that it offended me. So did othere. There is a difference there.

Back