What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saintpaulias

OK, I got a north-east facing window(sill) where I grow saintpaulias. They really bloom almost all the time. I was wondering could I grow some orchids on that window. It's bright but never has any sun (maybe in summer from 6-7 am), it's a bright shade.

Phalaenopsis and mottled leaf Paphiopedilums are generally considered the best low light orchids. If you can put the plant outside under a tree for the summer, I think a Phal would do fine in that window the rest of the year. That's assuming you don't live in a desert or something that would toast an orchid outside for the summer. Mottled leaf Paphs supposedly like to stay a little warmer and a little more humid, so I don't think they'd be as happy on a winter windowsill. I've never been successful with them no matter how I've tried to grow them. But I've done well with many Phals in that kind of situation. They'd prefer more light, but it just means they have a couple fewer blooms on a spike.

Back